Why do other drivers feel inferior to a BMW driver?

The problem is that many manufactures think that lopping off 2 cyls from a V8 will give them a V6 but unless the angle is moved tighter - 60 deg - instead of

- 90deg - it will always be out of balance.

Reply to
hsg

That's not a 90-degree V8 and does not disprove my point. So why did you bring it up?

Let's see some evidence that they will produce 90-degree V8's with balance shafts. They won't.

If a company choses to compromise balance to get a more compact engine, that is their engineering trade-off.

Almost no one makes single-plane crankshaft V8's. Ferrari is the only brand I know of, for street cars. This exception does not disprove by point that V8's can be very well balanced and smooth. Why bring it up?

Firing order not relevant to the issue we are discussing. Why bring it up?

Nonsense. A 90-degree V8 with a two-plane crank can be made extremely-well balanced by using counterweights.

Reply to
dizzy

Oh FFS are you trying to pretend there are only 90 degree V8s in the world?

YOu seem to be obsessed.

Are you on drugs?

Because it is relevant.

Reply to
Steve Firth

UK (Ellsmere Port) X25XE X30XE Y26SE and Y32SE

both the X25XE and Y26SE are creamy smooth

Reply to
Martin

Are you suggesting that from a performance and drivability of a bimmer is anywhere close to that of a Ferrari or a Porsche? thats a serious lack of education there.... they arent even close. Thats akin to comparing your M3 to a Chevy Cobalt... seriously... bimmers are great cars, but they dont run with the super car crowd on any level.

Reply to
Corey Shuman

Do people actually buy a DAEWOO with a GM-CHEVY badge on and think it is really a Chevy?

Reply to
hsg

Wrong.

Idiot.

Reply to
dizzy

There have been US cars with V-12s. 60 and 120 degrees are naturally fit for 12 Vs. V8 like 90 ddegrees and 180 as well as straight. Buick had a 90 degree V6, but had off-set journals to get an even fireing chart. An inline configuration is fine for any number of cylinders, as long at the throws have equal duration. (Poorly phrased, but you know what I mean.

Reply to
Now in San Diego

Oh dear, you lose.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Depends on which bimmer you're comparing to which Ferrari or Porsche. Most Porsche are not super cars, and if you look I'm sure you can find some BMWs that outperform some Ferrari models.

Reply to
Grizz

Or he owns a BMW in need of costly repairs and wishes he had a Toyota that needed none.

Sorry.

- nopcbs

Reply to
nopcbs

Yep. Great for compensating for personal SHORT-comings.

Sorry. If you are going to lob 'em over, someone is going to swing for the fences.

- nopcbs

Reply to
nopcbs

Okay, can you fish out an example? Cause Im thinking you could put an older testarossa up against a current year M3 or M5 and maybe beat the ferrari on handling. But on a car for car comparison there is none, You could possibly run a Dinan stage3 M5 up against a 911 gt3 RS. But to put it up against something like a Ferrari or lotus, lamborghini etc... is just ridiculous. This reminds me of the kind of conversations that go on in a civic forum where the Civic guy says that his civic is just as good as any bimmer, only reason to buy a bimmer is cause you are compensating. it doesnt make any sense. Im not trolling here, just asking that the anti-exotic comments are looked at for how ridiculous they are.

Reply to
Corey Shuman

If you beleive that you should run your m3 up against the next similar classed porsche, lotus or ferrari. The lap times, handling etc... make the bimmer look like you are running a ford against a bimmer. And compensating?? Are you driving your m3 to compensate for your own - short- comings. why didnt you just buy a supra?

Reply to
Corey Shuman

Nothing wrong with the 924 and 944. Only Porsche snobs would say otherwise.

Reply to
SteveH

914, possibly.

916 was OK, if a little ugly. But still quite cool.

As for 924s, the Audi engined one isn't the quickest thing on 4 wheels, but it's not too shabby and has superb handling. Very cheap to buy these days, too. The 924S is a bit of an oddity, 'cos they're not far off the price of a 944.

944s are very popular as track cars these days, because they're more than powerful enough to get you into trouble and the transaxle in the back gives them excellent balance and handling.

Not forgetting that all 924s and 944s were at least partially galvanised, meaning they rarely suffer from rot and are all very cheap to buy these days.

Reply to
SteveH

And the 914S was one hell of a fine autocrosser...

-- Larry

Reply to
pltrgyst
944 is a great car, they are fast, handle extremely well and are reliable when maintained. the problem is they are cheap, so a lot of people pick them up thinking they are an econo box, drive them hard, then something breaks, they go to get it fixed and the parts alone are 2k. That said, I had a 944 that I picked up for $2500, put about 15-16k > > >> >
Reply to
Corey Shuman

Eh?

Sounds more like a pathological hatred of BMWs to me. I think it's called trolling.

Reply to
Sam Smith

Since you snipped the explanation that both the Matiz and the BMW were unable to manage a straightforward run up the motorway because both had puny engines I can see how you might, just be able to convince people as feeble-minded as yourself that it was trolling.

And before you start yammering, the motorway was the A24 in Italy. You should try it some day. It's a very good test of ability of a car to sustain long, incredibly long, uphill runs.

Reply to
Steve Firth