Z4 vs 330ci

Hi Folks, I owned a 330Ci (01) which I traded in recently to get the wife her lexus.

To get over the severe Bmw-withdrawal symptoms I am contemplating getting a Z4 (2003/2004), which would hopefully not burn a large hole in the pocket.

Any inputs on the following will be gratefully appreciated -

- general comments on going from a 330Ci convertible to a Z4

- wind noise between the two (wish I had kept the 330 for comparison)

- handling and ride quality (the 330 had a sport pkg and the stiffer suspension)

- suggestions on whether a 2.5 will be comparable to my older 330 or should I go in for the 3.0 instead to get comparable performance

- what to watch out for when buying a used Z4 (specific to the model, that is)

Many thanks!

Reply to
horseraffer

I haven't driven a 330Ci, but my Z4 has a lined top and is pretty quiet as far as wind noise is concerned. The handling is much better than my sport package equipped 328i, but the Z4 ride (without SP) is considerably stiffer, although it has improved with a switch to non run flat tires.

Since the Z4 is nearly 20% lighter than your E46 convertible, I suspect the

2.5 would be comparable - but my 3.0 is really a blast to drive and still gets 30 mpg at (reasonable) highway speeds.

Make sure that the coil recall has been performed.

Tom K.

Reply to
Tom K.

On 1 Jul 2006 18:08:29 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

When I first decided I wanted a convertible, I thought about trading my 325i in on a 330i cab and test drove one. My thoughts, re. your questions, based on that experience: - The 3-series cabs are roomier. The Z4 interior is designed to look open and spacious, and it's fine for two passengers. But there isn't room for much else in there. I keep a couple of CDs in the console, and a few slips of paper in the glove box - any more and it would get crowded :) - Wind noise seems comparable - both have lined tops, so top-up is the same, and top down at 75 was similar as well. - Handling and ride quality. Like Tom, I dumped the run-flats the car came with and upgraded to 18" type 107 wheels with Goodyears. The ride is smoother and less jittery, but even without the sport package it's handling is better than my 325i with SP. The Z4 has a shorter wheelbase and lower center of gravity. Lots of people don't like the electric power steering, but I like it. - the 2.5i engine is nippy, and the 5-speed will likely keep up with someone in a 3.0-liter automatic thanks to the differential. However on long trips you'll miss the lack of extra cog, both for fuel economy and quiet. BMW was smart to offer the 6-speed on all models starting with the facelifted versions this year. - as for problems, I haven't had any with mine. Others have reported the usual 3-series problems: window motors failing, coils, the occasional electronic niggle. People on

have reported broken springs at the rear of the car as well. Usually, the two key questions are usually "Are you happy with the car?" and "Would you buy one again?" For me, the answer is "yes" to the first, and "I plan to" for the second - I'm getting a 3.0si in a couple of years when the Z4 ends its model run. epbrown

--

2003 BMW 325i Black/Black 2003 BMW Z4 Black/Black
Reply to