1994 318i door handle woes

Here's the situation...my driver's side doors won't open from the outside...door handle moves, but does not activate whatever unlatches the door. However, they can be opened from the inside, even though that mechanism appears to be getting weak as well. I took off the door trim and can see the linkage move with the inside door handle, but I can't tell why the outside door handle doesn't work...any ideas as to whether this is a mechanical or electrical problem? Door locks seem to work fine, and the outside handle will actually trip the door latch if I have the door open and lock the latch in place manually, i.e. it thinks the door is closed. Any help would be appreciated.

Pelias

I had the same problem in hot weather with my '93 320i. Once I had to operate the inside and outside handles to open it. It /seems/ to have been cured by spraying white lithium grease on the pivots for the handle, the small horizontal plastic guide (well, just blob a bit on with your finger), and the lock catch. If you're using spray, remember to put something behind to stop it getting on the glass.

Unless anyone knows a reason not to, while the door trim is off you could put some of the same grease on the window lifter mechanism.

HTH

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Morton