Line-x vs Rhino-liner vs other alternatives

I'd like to be able to put some kind of good liner on the inside of my Jeep (if I ever get one) and was wondering what you guys have used with good success before. A local shop here says for $475 they'll Line-x the floor/interior/cargo area of a CJ5 if I bring it in with basically only the driver's seat in place. Anything out there that's comparable to Line-x and Rhino-liner that you can apply at home with a brush? I'd rather be able to do it myself instead of paying someone else. If not, is there a general consensus on which is better between Line-x and Rhino Liner? Thanks.

-- Travis

meek shall inherit the earth. After I'm finished with it.:wq!

Reply to
travis

Hi Travis,

I used Duplicolor, available from Wally Word. I think I used two gallons (it's about $50 a gallon). My application is not as thick as thick as Rino or Line-X could be, but one fourth the cost. Put it on with a brush and texture it (and put some more on) with a special roller.

-- JimG

80' CJ-7, 258 CID 35" BFG MT's on 15x10 Centerlines 4.56 D30-D44 SOA D300 w/4:1 & Currie twin sticks Warn 8000i w/dual batteries LockRight F&R

Reply to
JimG

Sorry ms... Wally World... aka Wal-Mart.

Reply to
JimG

Look up Durabak.

Reply to
Jeepers

Reply to
twaldron

I have Line-X in the bed of my Superduty and I would not recommend it for the tub of a Jeep. Its a great product but it has a somewhat abrasive surface with a lot of "bite" to it, and in a passenger compartment you may not want the stuff close to your skin unless you want to deeply exfoliate.

My TJ has a sprayed-in product called Reflex which is similar to Rhino, it's a much more rubbery product. A local truck accessories shop sprayed it in and did a good job.

I chose to have mine done as opposed to doing it myself just from a time standpoint. There's a LOT of time involved in prep work, and even a mediocre product will hold up as long as the surface was prepped right. The tech who did my TJ said it took about 3 hours to prep and 20 minutes to apply, and I had removed everything from the inside except the driver's seat.

  • * * Matt Macchiarolo
Matt Macchiarolo

On Thu, 16 Oct 2003 20:09:51 GMT, "JimG" shared the following:

Hmm. What does it feel like? Kinda like a thin rubber mat that's tightly glued to the floor? Rubbery feeling? Or is it hard? Like really solid?

-- Travis

meek shall inherit the earth. After I'm finished with it.:wq!

Reply to
travis

Like twaldron says below it's not the same finish as Line-X or Rino... with the thickness that I have, it's more like textured paint. If you applied it thicker, I would say it would be more like rubber, but then you start to approach the cost of the Line-X. Mine looks good, is very durable, and it's easy to clean... I'm happy with it for the price. If price was no object, and I had no rust, I would get the Line-X.

JimG

Reply to
JimG

Zolatone. Great stuff.

Robert Bills KG6LMV Orange County CA

Robert Bills

Geeze, your all talking big bucks, we did our YJ this past spring with the two part Rustoleum stuff. Split the kit in half, mixed up one half on fri, two coats, two coats on sat. Mixed up the second half on sun and did 3 more coats and a 4th on monday. Stuff held up well this past summer and I liked it's $20 price tag for the kit. Got it locally here in Pa at a place called 'Ollies', discount chain store. Down side is the drain plugs don't fit anymore, had to find new smaller ones..

snipped-for-privacy@aol.comxxxxxxxx (Robert Bills) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mb-m27.aol.com:

Reply to
Rich Pierson

I had Rhino done myself & really like it. Looked at the Herculiner, but it wasn't as thick & I didn't want to spend the time on prep, etc. Local shop did mine and it was the same as you're indicating... I had to take everything out except the driver's seat. I have a TJ and that took about

3 - 4 hours.

Came out nice... sprayed it pretty thick on the floors (up to around 1/4") with the sides a little thinner.

Reply to
Ichabod Shagnasti

Check out

-Brian

Reply to
Cherokee-LTD

On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 17:42:33 GMT, "Cherokee-LTD" shared the following:

Thank you.

-- Travis

meek shall inherit the earth. After I'm finished with it.:wq!

Reply to
travis

My neighbor just had SEM sprayed... colored to match his paint. Looks cool. Seems strong.

Reply to
Joe