Caddy fuel light Question

my 97 seville sls does not measure the fuel in the tank accurately once it gets down to 1/4 tank. My question is whether that would effect the fuel light warning that turns on when your down to your last gallon or so. ( the manual said light turns on with 4 gallons in tank..)

So far i've been getting by on the trip meter. Basically multiplying the number of gallons at fill up by the MPG. It sucks.

TIA

gardentart