my first caddy

hello all, I have finally decided to sell my cushy 02 honda accord, and pursue my dream of owning a car with style. Idealy, I'm hoping to get a 60s/70s cadillac, probably an eldo or fleetwood. I might consider some early

80s, but the body style is one of my main priorities, and they started going downhill in the mid-80s (imo).

anyway, I'm writing to see if anyone out there could point me in the right direction for advice on how to select the right used cadillac. i'm not very experienced with the automotive trade, either from a consumer viewpoint or from a mechanics viewpoint. I am, however, pretty mechanically inclined and am hoping to learn about taking care of a car with this purchase.

so, my main goals for right now are to buy an older, well-running, rust-free caddy that might also be a long-term project car, but that would at least be functional in the mean time. are there any years/models that i should completely stay away from? what are the critical things to look at when shopping around? and, are there any good books and/or sites on researching caddy's?

THANK YOU! to anyone out there with some answers.

sincerely,

francisco

Reply to
morenull

Hi I am a avid old car enthusiast, and i am only 27. I am with you on the caddys i have owned 7 of them and currently have 2. First if you like the old Gangster style like i do, Fleetwood Brougham those where made until I beleive 91. The best ones where in 1980 and before. After that in 81 they had the V 4-6-8 it is horrible, if you disconnect the connectors that run that crap it will be a normal v8 and run great. Later they came with the the 4100 v8 alluminum v8 terrible engine avoid with all costs. if you stay in 1980 and before that is your best bet. But you can go with a mid late

80's brougham that is the same rear drive gangster style with the 307 olds motor and change it. good car. basicly 80 and before and you should be good Now most of them that are project cars have cracked filler panels dont worry those are cheap to repair. Most of those cars are good reliable cars, Big Block engines" tire smokin power" and the bodys held up pretty good. Typical rust was right behind the rear window on the panel betweent he window and trunk. Again nothing real major. But watch out for the cars that have blown air bags on the suspension they are very hard and expensive repairs. But your choice in getting rid of the honda is good one and getting a caddy is even better. Keep the Oldies Running Hope i was able to assist you if you would like more info you can email me or im me on Yahoo at the above screen name yme6900
Reply to
carguy27