'85 Camaro Berlinetta Electrical fault (Dead/sporadic amp meter)

Been having troubles wit the dash reading a steady ZERO as far as amperage is concerned, but I was damned sure that the 22-year-old alternator was still working fine...but ll aleads pointed there, so we swapped it out for a new one...and of course, it didn't fix it.

Question: What else could cause the dash guage to read zero...and then pop up to read it's usual/proper 13-14 volts "whenever it feels like", all the while, apparrently keeping te battery charged and all sytems powered just fine.

Does anyone know where to find a proper electrical schmetic for the instrument cluster and it's related wiring harnesses?

Note: No need to reccommend a boneyard unless it's within driving distance of Windsor/Detroit. ;)

Thanks, folks!

Reply to
ElectroPigT

I don't know for sure about the Berlinetta. But on my 1985 Z-28 I would pull off the front bezel on the instrument panel. On the Z-28 the gauges have mounting screws but the gauges just plug into the connectors. I would pull out the Ammeter and check for corrosion or loose fitting. On the Z-28 it is a pretty easy thing to do so I would check that first. It sounds like you just have a corroded or bad connection some where to me.

It could be much more difficult on the Berlinetta though since they can be a lot different than the Z's.

AA

Reply to
Ztwoeight

Couldn't be more right there...total digital instrument cluster, only available in the 84-86 Berlinettas. Like the stereo, left & right control pods (surround the inst. cluster), the heater blower motor relay, etc, etc, etc...

As far as I know, te cluster is a solid unit, but if you're right, that's a LOT beter option thanspending the next few years looking for a parts car with a functional cluster. NOT FUN!!!

Reply to
ElectroPigT

I'm looking at a parts diagram of the digital 84-86 instrument panel. Not many parts! It looks like the Volt/Temp gauge and the Oil/Fuel gauge plug into the dash case separated from the speedo and the rest. If that helps any? It could be corrosion in the plug area, or not. :) My Camaro has had many electrical problems with most being corroded terminals.

AA

Reply to
Ztwoeight

Yes, that's understandable. Had a hell of a time finding another blower motor relay a while back, and the reason there was trace separation from the PCB of the unit...all the parts are fine, but since you can't get the boards to move the good parts to...

Maybe I'll pull the cluster and see if it is just dirty plugs...at least it won't cost me anything!

Thanks for the idea... ;)

Reply to
ElectroPigT