Amp Meter

The Amp meter on my 85 GT never moves. Stays right in the middle regardless the car on or off or what accessories Im running. Do the commonly go bad on these Mustangs? Could it be something else?? Yes the charging system works fine. :-)

Dave

Reply to
Mustang GT

Isn't the amp meter on foxes a dummy meter? Just a guess...I don't actually know, but i'm sure someone can point you the right way if I'm wrong.

- Nick

Reply to
Nick D.

Dummy how? Mine works and incrementally too. Also it is not an ammeter, it reads voltage.

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]

If it's really an amp meter I'd say there's a good chance it's gone bad. But I think it's probably a voltmeter. But if that's not moving it's probably bad.

----------------- Jim '88 LX 5.0 (now in car heaven) '89 LX 5.0 vert '99 GT 35th Anniversery Edition - Silver Mods to date - Relocated trunk release to drivers side, shortened throttle cable.

Reply to
AZGuy

simple test..........hold the electric window switches after the window is up or down while the engine running a nd you should see the amp meater move to the right

Works on mine

Randy '85 GT Vert

Reply to
Randy

At the risk of me being wrong, are you sure that it is not a volt meter (has a little battery symbol)? John

Reply to
jriegle

nope... it clearly says "AMP" with a little battery symbol above it.... AnyWho we are goin JunkYardin tomorrow and I will get one.

Reply to
Mustang GT

Reply to
John W

Around 9/13/2003 10:06 PM, John W spake thusly:

would change it lol. AC bah who needs that. stereo... stereo's are for weenies. power door locks... not for me..

Same here. It stays literally just a hair past center. The only way I can get it to move is if I turn on the high beams and the radiator fan at the same time. Even then, it's a barely noticeable dip.

...Come to think of it, I *have* seen it do a relatively big swing- when I've given jump starts to the less fortunate. It'll do a big dip negative when they start their engine, but then it goes right back to the accustomed center. :)

Reply to
Garth Almgren

Its probably fine... I thought the ammeter in my 66 was toast for over two years until I let the battery go dead...then it showed a charge and all was right with the world after a couple of hours. Little movement is a good thing. Relax and go after something thats really busted. If its a Mustang it should have plenty of problems to fix!

Have a great day!

Reply to
Mustang_66