89 RS w/2.8 blown head gasket, will a 3.4 bolt right in?

We have an 89 with a 2.8 that just blew a head gasket. The motor only has 78K on it and I know that it needs valve seals as well. The oil looks like mud and the dipstick is a little blue, but who knows, it may have always been blue?? I?m faced with putting in new head gaskets and valve seals, or I have been told that a 3.4 from a newer Camaro will bolt right in. I?m not sure if that is true or not...what is your opinion?

Reply to
HotRod53

When you do the valve seals, check the valve GUIDES while you're in there. I got new seals in the fall, but NOW I need guides as well...so there's a second trip to the garage when I should have been able to do it in one go. I'll leave the 2.8 for 3.4 swap issue to someone more qualified. ;)

Reply to
ElectroPig

A 3.1 or 3.4 from a car with the same engine orientation will pretty much drop right in. You can't use an engine from a car with a "sideways" mounted engine (too many exterior parts are different). I did a 3.1 swap on an 89 Camaro, and the only thing that had to be done was to plug a crankshaft sensor hole in the block that the 89 cars didn't use..

John Jones, Detroit

Reply to
John Jones

"John Jones" wrote: > On 27 Feb 2005 18:22:21 -0500, HotRod53 Used > Cars Forums - AutoForumz.com> wrote: > > >I have been told that a 3.4 from a newer Camaro > >will bolt right in. I?m not sure if that is true or > not...what is your > >opinion? > > A 3.1 or 3.4 from a car with the same engine orientation will > pretty > much drop right in. You can't use an engine from a car with a > "sideways" mounted engine (too many exterior parts are > different). I > did a 3.1 swap on an 89 Camaro, and the only thing that had to > be done > was to plug a crankshaft sensor hole in the block that the 89 > cars > didn't use.. > > John Jones, Detroit

Pulled the intake and found globs of sludge and a broken intake gasket near the right rear water jacket hole. Now what.....is it too damaged? Replace the gasket? Swap it with a 3.4? The motor probably was driven

30-50 miles with this leak.
Reply to
HotRod53