Blown Head Gasket & 2 Burnt Valves 93 Camry V6

My mother owns a 93 Camry V6 with 77k on the clock. on 3/24 she took the car into the Toyota dealer for a free oil change and it ended up costing over $3200 for new head gaskets and a valve job. Not only did this repair cost a fortune but it took them 17 days to repair the car. I went down to the Toyota dealer to talk with the service advisor before any repairs could be begin and he showed me the light brown streaks in the oil. He also showed me the oil deposits that were collecting in the radiator.

My mom drives like an old lady and the car has only been serviced by Toyota mechanics. I thought that Toyota vehicles were supposed to be reliable vehicles? I would never have thought that a car with such few miles on the clock could have such a major failure. I could understand if the car was driven hard or was improperly maintained but it's quite the opposite. This is something that one would expect from an American made vehicle. I've personally had 3 American cars that have had blown head gaskets before reaching 90k.

I am interested to find out if other Camry owners have experienced this problem at this low mileage and if they spent as much as my mother did to repair their vehicles.

Reply to
Jeff Duarte - Robert Bobbitt

Id complain about the 3200.

Reply to
m Ransley

Buying ANY vehicle on reputation does NOT preclude all individual failures. Plus, the car IS eleven years old. Why your particular engine spit a head gasket or two can be fodder for ENDLESS speculation that solves nothing. Luck of the draw, my friend.

~Philip

"Today is Earth Day so ... you golfers ... put back your divots!"

Reply to
Philip®

could

Toyota

the

This

On this subject, I've heard of pre-mature h-gasket failure, or what appears that way, in low mileage, 'light-service' cars before.

As a theory, it maybe there are forces at work which tend to cause headgasket failure ie stretching headbolts, cyl head warp over time, gasket breakdown....stuff like that. On the other hand, constant higher combustion temperatures encountered in highway driving can over time make some headgaskets really adhere to the block, making removal difficult.

just a theory,....Jason

Reply to
Jason James

I had an 83 Tercel that had headgasket leakage at around 70k miles and my father's 88 Camry has about the same mileage and has some headgasket leakage. I sold mine (with notice to the new owner) and my father drives his a few thousand miles a year.

could

Toyota

the

This

Reply to
Art

Was the coolant replaced on a regular basis? It seems like the aluminum engines deplete the corrosion inhibitors in the coolant and allow corrosion of the head gasket leading to failure. This is common in the Cadillacs.

Reply to
D F Bonnett

ADVERTISEMENT Hi,

77K is pretty low. $3,200 is outrageous. Even an engine swap will not cost that much. If I remember correctly, Toyota will replace it at no charge with milleage less than 100K even though the power train warranty is 60K or 80k something. But, the failure cause has to be justifiable. Show all the deler service records to service and district manager. The warranty is nationwide. If the cause is justifiable,Toyota HQ in Japan may send out a team to remove the engine and ship it back to Japan for further study and find out why it would fail at this low milleage. I expect quite a few Toyota managers in Japan HQ will fall off their chairs when they hear this kind of failure since they value thir reputation that is more important than anythig. Especially, Camry is over- engineered and reliable car. Los of Camrys reach to 300K and still running. Of course, the failure cause has to be justifiable. Give it a try.
Reply to
Matt

or

Reply to
David

I saw posted somewhere that the Northstar engine includes coolant sealant from the factory fill.

repair

could

Toyota

the

was

This

Reply to
Art

I don't know if sealant is still used. I was actually referring to the anti-corrosive additives in the coolant itself. They do deplete over time/mileage. The new orange stuff, Dexcool, is supposed to last 5 years. The other should be changed sooner. Some say 2yrs/24K or 3 yrs/36K. Go here for some real insights about Caddies/Northstars.

HTH

For email remove "_no_spam_"

Reply to
D F Bonnett

Everyone: I've heard enough about Camry 6-Cyl head gasket problems to worry me. My

2001 with 80K is fine, BUT should I think about a preventive head re-torquing. Granted, this is not easy as it used to be on my 1970 Dodge Slant-Six, but if it prevents a blown head gasket it is worth it. Anyone heard anything about this preventive measure?

Dick

could

Toyota

the

This

Reply to
Dick Byrd

The fellow with the problem in this thread has a 93, which is a quite different engine. (iron block/aluminum heads) The newer engine (1MZFE) which started production in 94, is aluminum block/aluminum heads, which make heagasket problems MUCH less likely and is probably one of the reasons they changed the design. In fact the 1MZFE engines have a very low incidence of gasket failures. MDT Tech claims that they have never had a headgasket failure on these engines in the shop he works in, and it is pretty high volume.

So, relax an take a deep breath.

Reply to
jjnunes

should I think about a preventive head

Head bolts are pre torqued, and then tightened by measuring number of degrees turned - to stretch the bolts by a predetermined amount. Don't touch the head bolts, unless you're replacing them.

Reply to
Daniel M. Dreifus

The only time the headbolts can be torqued with any sense of accuracy is when they are new ( and unstretched) and the threads both in the block and on the respective bolts are oiled correctly and clean (too much oil can cause hydraulic-lock).

The preferred method of torqueing new bolts is to measure the amount of stretch they have undergone. This is done in incremental steps. Headbolts can not (for obvious reasons) be checked for stretch so a torque wrench or some sort of protractor is used.

As a maintenance measure, new bolts should be used for all tensile applications, tho in older iron engines built like fort-knox, this is rarely done by the home-mechy and they (we :) seemed to get away with it.

Jason

Reply to
Jason James

With stretch bolts having the undercut flange, "angle torquing" is used. This is a ONE shot bolt. Once the engine has been brought to operating temperature, these bolts need to be replaced if removed for any reason.

--

- Philip @ Maximum Torque RPM
Reply to