Engine Swap 2.8 for 5.0 in an 86 Camaro

My son wants to swap out his tired 2.8 for a 5.0 which he can get for a good price. What additional parts would he also have to replace (tranny ... he has an auto, drive shaft, rear end, etc), and are there any problems to look for?

Reply to
Andrea

really need to know the year but here goes what I know

new front springs, radiator the one in the v6 is not big enuff make sure you get all the wiring under the hood and the ecm (engine computer) you'll need the tranny for sure and I am pretty sure the drive shaft will have to be change as the v6 is a different lenght I believe

Reply to
ross

yeah that sound good, all the necessary brackets too ....you know a donor car would be nice ..Evan a rusted out camaro, or a wrecked complete ...then he has everything he needs , or make sure there's one at a wreckers near you

new front springs, radiator the one in the v6 is not big enuff make sure you get all the wiring under the hood and the ecm (engine computer) you'll need the tranny for sure and I am pretty sure the drive shaft will have to be change as the v6 is a different lenght I believe

Reply to
Chevy

If you are going to do the labor involved, you might as well make it a 350. The performance parts are cheaper, more abundant and yield higher gains. I have done this job before. It is not as difficult as some will lead you to beleave, but it is time intensive and best done with a donor car.

car would be nice ..Evan a rusted out camaro, or a wrecked

a wreckers near you

Reply to
98 Camaro

thats true but there is a few things to keep in mind I don't know where you are at but in North Carolina if the vehicle did not com with a 350 in that model year you can not put it in and pass inspection which means if the biggest engine available was a 305 that year then that's all you can do. also there where more 305's built and put into camaros then 350's

Reply to
ross

That inspection policy sucks. But that aside, it does not matter if there were more put into Camaros, there are more production 350's. and it still stands that there are more performance parts, and the 350 power can be increase much easier and cheaper. The 305 is not the best suited to squeeze power from. Though it was not produced with the 350, it can be done. The conversion I did was on a 84 camaro, which did not have a 350 production either. Keep in mind, the early 80's were gunning for economy. Heck, why else would you make a 4 cyl Camaro.

Reply to
98 Camaro