lowering springs

I have a question on changing to lowering springs on a 96 camaro z28.

I want to keep the stock shocks on the car and change the springs to drop the car to a lower stance.

I have seen that an adjustable pan hard rod and relocation brackets for the lower control arms are recommended.

Talked to my regular auto shop and they had a concern about the springs being shorter than stock causing problems if the rear of the car left the ground during a hard bump.

Something about the springs coming out of the collar. Can anyone explain how the spring and rear suspension ie:shock go together and how a shorter than stock spring would work in this situation?

I have also read about people cutting coils off so I am wondering what keeps the spring compressed in the rear if you go with an aftermarket spring so that it isn't loose in the assembly.

Any help is appreciatted, in all the install information I can find on the web I haven't come accross any issues in simply changing out the springs.

Thanks,

C Carman

Reply to
Hunter

On a '96 Camaro the rear spring just sits in place. It is literally pinched between the upper body and the rear axle housing. Your mechanic is concerned that if you took a LARGE bump that the shock would rebound further that the spring and let the spring fall out.

I do not think that you would have a problem with this unless you have really shorter springs. When the mechanic puts in the new lowering springs they would have the car supported by the frame with the suspension just hanging there. They should be able to tell if the stock shocks are going to allow the new springs to fall out or if there is enough compression to keep them in place.

Reply to
Schmuck

Thanks,

They allow for about a 1.75 inch drop or so.

Everything else I have heard so far says it should be ok.

C. Carman

Reply to
Hunter