SLP "Cold Air" Induction plus cheap mod

I put SLP's cold-air induction on my '97 Formula a couple years ago. Last November a young lady darted-out in front of me to get T-boned and buy me a new SLP "RAM-AIR" hood. Based on the 20HP gain SLP quoted for the cold-air setup vs the 15hp gain they quoted for the ram-air package, I just left the cold-air in place and have enjoyed the looks of the non-functioning ram-air hood.

With the Augusta, GA heat in the high 90's, my quarter mile times have diminished by 4/10ths. I started thinking about the intake air temperature and what I could do to cool it down. That's when I put my hand on the steel "cold-air" pipes after a short drive. They were HOT.

I decided drag-radials were a better $300 investment than the hardware to make the ram-air hood functional (I get little traction off the line); so I dreamed-up a $10 modification, I wondered what you guys think of it...

Basically I just went to home-depot and bought some silver-coated insulation and matching silver (reflective) tape. I cut and taped the insulation around the cold-air induction pipe from where it enters the inside of the hood up to the MAF. The idea being that the "cold-air" passing through the steel (highly conductive) pipe is probably gaining a few degrees during the trip.

I may not be able to test this mod at the track before I get my new drag-radials on the car, so I might not know how beneficial it actually is. My question is, do you think it is a good enough idea to test independently? Do you think it will have any impact on my quarter mile time?

Thanks!

Reply to
SR-71

Not a bad idea. With higher under temps do to warmer air, the intake tube will be warmer. Insulating it will help to keep it cooler, and reduce heat transfer to the incoming air.

A higher end solution would be to have the pipe ceramic coated inside and out. Charles

Reply to
Charles Bendig

SWINGERS spilled my beer when they jumped on the table and proclaimed in

NOI

Reply to
Thund3rstruck_n0i

I have been thinking of doing the exact same thing with my Moroso "cold air" induction. For $10 how can you go wrong. I know I have spent far more than that in the past for things that gained nothing. - Gary

Reply to
Gary - KQ6RT