Water pump? Or am I just to be "hosed"? LOL

My Z28 has a bit of a leak in the coolant system.

However before this particular leak began, I've had problems with my heat. Namely, I don't HAVE much. Being from a warm climate, I haven't worried much about that alone.

Now, however, I find my temp will suddenly skyrocket to 260, but then fall to 200 suddenly.

When I replaced my belt, I saw what looked like a "wet" water pump down below.

I have yet to get under to see just where the current leak is.

Anyway - any ideas if this sound s like just a HOSE? Or is my water pump suspect? I wonder about the pump, since the temp shoots up then in a few seconds goes down 50 deg or more. Maybe a pump failing? Also there's the lack of HEAT inside the car.

I know I need to replace a hose, since when I put in water to the radiator, it poured out once I filled it. The question is - is there enough evidence to go ahead and replace the water pump?

Reply to
StarMan

To me the sounds of your skyrocketing high then dropping low sounds like a thermostat to me, and a wet water pump, could be a sign of a replacement water pump maybe needed.. Bill

Reply to
Bill

Hi:

The temperature fluctuating from 300 to 260 degrees is more than likely the thermostat.

Alternatively, if your heater core isn't plugged. You have combustion leaking from a head gasket or a cracked head, leaking into the cooling system.

Causing a cool air bubble in the heater core.

The water pump, is most likely leaking from the lower weep hole. The hole is there so when the carbon seal deteriorates, the coolant leaks through the hole, rather than pissing through the bearing.

I hope this helps.

Reply to
Refinish King

Hello and thanks

As far as I can tell, the water is actually leaking RIGHT OUT of the water pump (I need to look at the diagram again to ensure I have it ID'd right but I'm pretty sure). I can't tell if it's coming out of a weep hole or not, but the water I add, when it gets full, seems to pour right out of the water pump, where it connects with the engine, drips down onto the main drive wheel which drives the belt, then onto the ground.

When you say "head gasket" or "cracked head", I confess to getting concerned. But how would I tell if it's the carbon seal of the water pump or something much worse?

As I mentioned, the water drips out when the rad gets filled but I can't ID just where.

I can't see where any of the hoses are leaking, when I've looked further.

Reply to
StarMan

Thanks, Bill.

As I just posted in another reply, though, the pump isn't just "wet"; filling the rad causes the water to actively leak from somewhere.

Reply to
StarMan

Hi:

The weep hole is part way in the pulley, so the water will run back, down the body of the pump.

I hope this helps.

Reply to
Refinish King

Right, which I understand.

But how can I tell if there's any problem with the HEAD?

Reply to
StarMan

You'd need a cooling system pressure tester:

You make sure the cooling system is full, start the car until it warms up, then pump the pressure tester to 15Lbs. Let it keep running. If it goes over the red zone on the gauge, you have a head or head gasket problem.

Although, it's not that easy, a bad thermostat can make the pressure build up quickly and go high.

Reply to
Refinish King

Well, I can't exactly get the cooling system full when it keeping leaking out the bottom of the water pump LOL

So I guess you're telling me that no matter, WHAT, I have to FIRST address the leaking water pump. I imagine that's the problem, anyway, since I've heard head gasket problems bad enough to cause water to pour out would also be smoking like it was on fire ;-)

Thanks.

Reply to
StarMan