Vauxhall Astra high temperature reading??

i have a 1996 V. Astra. At 60mph reading about 92 degrees on temp gauge, when in town temp will rise to 98 deg., fan cuts in and works ok, then goes down to about 96 deg., and will stay at this temp. When starting off from cold, within a mile its up to 92 deg. Is this abnormally high? i.e. what could the problem be - thermostat? air lock? water pump?

Thanks in advance for any advice !! Mike

Reply to
Valcor

sounds fine to me.

Reply to
MrCheerful

Thanks for reply Mr. Cheerful, hope your name doesn't imply that you are being unreasonably optomistic:) I should not worry then, even though the reading is consistently near the top of the dial?? Ta...

Reply to
Valcor

I wouldn't worry too much about that. Provided it's not boiling over in traffic, then it's fine.

Although, is it a petrol or diesel? The diesels had a resistor for the first cooling fan speed, which used to fail, so instead of the cooling fan cutting in at a lower temperature at a slow speed, it wouldn't cut in until the coolant got hot enough for the second speed, which used to eventually lead to headgasket failures.

Reply to
moray

Thanks very much for the reassurance moray. (It is a petrol model)...!!

Reply to
Valcor