04 Avalanche Speedometer problems

Don't know if this is a common GM problem or not....I've got a 2004 Z71 Avalanche, and it's issue is the speedometer basically dies after 1.5 to

2.5 hours of any kind of continuous driving. The odometer still works fine when the speedometer quits, as do all the other gauges. At around the 2 hour mark, the speedo becomes "jerky" when moving up in the range and then it dies. A quick shutoff does nothing to fix it. Let it sit for 15min to an hour and all is well again for a while. Very frustrating.....any ideas? I thought maybe the speed sensor in the transmission but the odometer still works while the speedo is dead...is this likely? Or is likley the speedometer itself
Reply to
Augustus