4 wheel steering

Does anyone know what happend to GM's 4 wheel steer trucks that came out a few years ago, I recall seeing ad's for them, thought the idea was great, but never seen it since, did it flop on them, or just not as good as it was let on at first, or just too much mech. problems with the system, just curious is all.

Reply to
Craig M

far as I know/am concerned: 1. they percieved the value to be far too high and put it in an expen$ive bundle of option$ 2. it was not available on anything but half ton full size trucks. probably would have been more valuable on 3/4 tons.

an exclusivity clause between GM and the supplier kept it out of the hands of competitors. they couldn't sell it, and they wouldn't let anyone else sell it, either.

Reply to
Sid Sawyer

It was a poorly implemented solution to a problem that didn't exist.

Reply to
Battleax

It was too expensive and not a lot of people were buying them as a result. For a while, they were giving a $4000 rebate on the $4000 option, just to move them. Even with the rebate though, you had to buy an LT Silverado or a Sierra Denali, so you were forced to step into a very expensive half ton truck.

Quadrasteer was available on 3/4 ton Suburbans and Yukon XLs.

If you've driven one, the utility becomes obvious immediately. Especially if you ever tow a trailer. But even in tight parking lots, Quadrasteer was worth its weight in gold.

I don't ever recall us having any major problems or come-backs at the dealership with Quadrasteer trucks.

Dave

Battleax wrote:

Reply to
DirtyDave931

Reply to
none2u

Reply to
Craig M

I recall reading somewhere that some road tests hinted at some stability issues at high speed. It might have been Car and Driver, but it's so long ago I cannot say for sure. - Len

Reply to
Len S.