1983 TH700R4 Modulator Cable.

If one had broken the ball-and-socket end of their modulator cable, how would one go about repairing it? A) do they sell just the end B) do they sell the entire cable C) could it just be JB weld-bonded to the carb without side effects?

Got the tranny T-case and rear drive shaft in. Going to put fluid in when light comes about tomorrow and hopefully she'll roll.

Reply to
KJ

get a new one (order by application)

pre-adjust it so that the 'socket' is about 3/8 of an inch 'shy' of the attachment point on the carb; in other words, you have to pull it out about

3/8 to get it hooked up

Reply to
Gary Glaenzer

Thank you much. What exactly does this cable do? If I gather correctly it changes gears DOWN when I stab the gas? The other question I meant to ask is do I NEED this for my first few runs? I of course need to clear any excess water out of my torque converter - and I should also probably run through he gear selections while doing this but not moving it. Then when I drain my tranny I can attach a new cable since the pan needs to be dropped to do this. Thanks for the help Gary.

Reply to
KJ

it not only forces a downshift, it regulates the internal pressures........more cable pull-out = higher pressure

DON'T leave home without it

WATER IN YOUR TORQUE CONVERTER ??????????? that'll play hell with your friction surfaces............

and no, you don't have to drop the pan to attach it

Reply to
Gary Glaenzer

What happens when there is too little/too much cable pull out? Not enough = improper/slow shifting, too much= improper/hard shifting (guesses)?

I take one everywhere I take my penis.

'just a bit' thats why I'm changing it after about 5 minutes or so of running. Scribb and myself think I'll be okay, specially since the tranny was freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

When I saw it last it has a little piece of metal shaped like a "Z" on the transmission-end of the cable that you have the thread through a lever inside of the transmission, which you have to remove the pan to get into? Just wondering....

Reply to
KJ

correct

good luck

you'll need it

that piece of wire is supposed to stay with the transmission innards, and then you can attach the cable from outside

Reply to
Gary Glaenzer

I can understand what you mean. If it was anything but a free tranny I wouldn't think about it. But the fluid that came out was just as red and clean when it went in :-)

Reply to
KJ

. . .

1983 TH700R4 Modulator Cable. Group: alt.trucks.chevy Date: Sat, Oct 18, 2003, 11:59pm (CDT+5) From: snipped-for-privacy@REMOVEworldnet.att.net (KJ) If one had broken the ball-and-socket end of their modulator cable, how would one go about repairing it? A) do they sell just the end B) do they sell the entire cable C) could it just be JB weld-bonded to the carb without side effects? Got the tranny T-case and rear drive shaft in. Going to put fluid in when light comes about tomorrow and hopefully she'll roll. ======= ======= KJ, you made reference to the "Carb".....

so....we'll be ass u me ing ....that yer working on the carb end of the cable.

YES....there is an aftermarket part available for hooking up the cable. If the part that you "might" have broken was made of hard platic. It cost about $1

side note.... a little better description of what yer working on would help.

scrib

Reply to
Scrib Abell