Accel Cable

Dudes, Don't do it! the other day my cable broke on the way home, whipped out the spare I have caried for 15 years and 20 mins later, back on the road. Went to FLAPS to get another spare and they talked me into the "universal" replacement, stronger lasts longer etc... Well I decided to go ahead and install this one since the end has to be snipped and allen wrench is needed to attach the carb end, not something to do on the shoulder of the interstate... So this morning I went for it. Lessons Learned:

  1. Have some sharp snippers or you mangle the end and it won't fit into the little attachment.
  2. cut it to the right length the first time, no second chances
3.have 3 hands to get that little allen screw tight.
  1. hopefully you didn't tighten the allen too much and actually push the cable end out of the little attachment.
  2. 2 hours later in the driveway went back to the orig. stock style and up to FLAPS to get a proper spare. Keep On Fweemin'
Reply to
Cletus

One thing that has worked for me in the past is to apply solder at the cut point prior to cutting. If you have flux for sweating pipes together you can use some of that and a good electronics soldering iron to flow some solder into the cable. Then when you cut the cable it will not fray.

However, even if you do cut it perfectly without doing the solder bit first, the problem with the universal cable is if you have to remove it(engine pull perhaps?) you end up messing up the end of the cable anyway when you take out the set screw. A stock cable is a lot better in my opinion(as you found out).

Chris

Reply to
halatos

for a stock application, stock style cable is your best bet.... for years i've been using non-stock carbs and such... making cables for my particular application, and it's actually a breeze to do... i don't, however, use the tiny 1/16" stock sized cable... universal sheaths, epoxy for the sheath ends, 3/32 wire cable, some solder and good quality set screws are my friends...

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

I cut steel cable with my MIG welder - just crank it up and it welds the ends together as it blasts through it :)

Rich (Tricky)

Cletus wrote:

Reply to
none