1983 to 85 S-10 Diesels

Has anyone had any experience with these little diesels.? Were they worth a hoot? Why can't we get one now? Just Curious Pete

Reply to
Pete

on Monday 05 November 2007 06:33 pm, someone posing as Pete took a rock and etched into the cave:

AFAIK, they were slightly less than gutless. You'd be way better off with an Cummins B engine like the 3.9L 4B or 4BT.

Izusu produced the 2.2L I4 diesel for the trucks. Eventually a company called MWM picked up the ball and is still creating a 2.8L diesel for the Brazilian S-10 and S-15 trucks.

PerfectReign

Reliable, most of the time. Gutless in a truck if you want more than simple transportation.. Besides the Isuzu Pup, and S-10, it saw duty in the Isuzu I-Mark sedan, Chevette, and Pontiac T1000. Over head cam design belt driven. Crasher if belt breaks. Valve train design is the weak point. The belt drives the cam shaft. Monuted on 'tabs" on bearing caps for the cam is a rocker arm shaft. when the belt breaks piston hits valves and snaps the tabs off the caps. You cant get just the bearing caps have to buy a complete head. Upside to design, I only saw one that crashed that damaged bottom end. The injectors and the injector pump gave little trouble if fuel filters replaced regualrly. Bottom end of engine was strong. Glow plugs were reliable, seldom changed. Engine slightly redesigned has also been used by Thermo-King to power reefer units on temperture controlled trailers. This engine had chain drive for cam.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

Thanks for the info, guys.....I have heard small diesels are coming to the US.....don't know when. Guess they are getting the EPA stuff working or something. Pete

Reply to
Pete