Weird Sound

I just had my truck in for repairs (2000 Silverado, 5.3 ext cab). They turned the rotors, and replaced the front brake pads. After I got the truck I hear a weird sound coming from the passenger side under the dash board. It sounds like running water often when I take off. Even after stopping for just a while on a red light. I find it strange that I never heard this before it took the truck in for the break job but at the same time I can't imagine the dealer tampering with my vehicle.

What could this be?

Thanks for any help.

Jay

Funny thing... I picked up an '01 Blazer this summer and notice the same exact thing. After starting the vehicle, backing out of the driveway and traveling down my road to a stop sign at the main highway, I hear this water "trickling" sound as I pull out from the stop, making a slight uphill right turn onto the highway. Does it every time. I thought maybe it was coolant sloshing around in the heater core... does that make any sense?

Mark '01 Blazer LT

Reply to
Mark E. Bye

My 03 trailblazer makes sound like that from time to time. I doubt if the dealer tampered with your truck. You may want to call the dealer and ask them what the sound is.

Reply to
Meat Plow

Make sure your cooling system is completly full

Reply to
Battleax

Could you tell me the just of how to do that please?

Thanks

Jay

I can try but I don't know the system configuration on that particular vehicle. If the radiator itself has a cap, this would be the one to check, not the seprate plastic overflow tank.

Reply to
Battleax

Ah, of course. I will do that. Thanks

Reply to
Jay

A gurgling sound is indicative of air in your cooling system. at best, you might have to add some antifreeze, at worst there might be a leak that is letting air in. Step one is to check radiator cap and replace if needed.

Gurgling was the first indication that my water pump was leaking.

Note: air in the cooling system is a bad thing. Rust protection depends on there being no air.

Reply to
jmagerl

Just for the record.....It has NOTHING to do with the brakes.

The other posters have some good ideas.

Reply to
ScottM

Nothing to do with the brakes. With engine cold, remove the radiator cap, add coolant if needed. Jack up the front of the truck so that the radiator is the highest point. Start the engine with the radiator cap off, and wait till the thermostat opens. You will see that, as the coolant will start to flow thru the radiator. If the coolant drops, add more coolant, wait until all the bubbles are gone. Then bring up the engine speed a bit, add some coolant, and put the radiator cap on while the engine is at the higher speed.

If the condition comes back, you have a leak. >

Reply to
Bumpy

But the funny thing is that this sound sure sounds like it's coming from under the passenger side of the dashboard and that's where the fan is.

You still thing it's the radiator?

Jay

Yes, that's where the heater radiator is

Reply to
Battleax

your hearing the bubbling going thru the core! There should be no air in the system, if there is it could cause high temp problems, and maybe failure of the intake gasket,

big bucks!

Reply to
Bumpy

Your Heater Core is located there, it's hooked up to your Engines Coolant system. Engine heats the coolant, it runs though your Radiator to cool down, but some if it runs into your car though a heater core, which is basically just a mini version of a radiator. It's Under the dash on the passenger side inside all the ducting. When you turn your heater ON, it opens a valve to allow coolant to flow though it, which heats it up, when you turn on the fan, it's blowing air though it and then out of whatever outlets. If you have Air in your system, you can get all kinds of weird gurgling noises. It's just one of those things that it happened after you had a brake job. It happens all the time. You get you car worked on and something totally unrelated happens shortly after and then they blame the person who just worked on your car. A coolant problem has NOTHING at all to do with brakes.

I would look in the Overflow tank where you can add more fluid and see if it's empty, if it is, that's a pretty good general sign that you may have a problem. They don't normally just go empty. You can also Pull off the Radiator Cap, but ONLY do it when the engine is cool!!! If you do it when it's HOT and pull the cap, Coolant will go flying up in your face!!! Coolant systems are under Pressure! They are designed that way. When you increase the Pressure, you increase the Boiling Point. When the engine is cool, it's not under pressure. After the Cap is Removed, see if it's low. If it is, and your overflow tank is also empty you may have other problems. Cracked block, Blown head gasket, etc. Your Coolant is going somewhere. Sometimes it get's burned and out the tailpipe giving you white smoke when you really shouldn't have it, to maybe leaking into the OIL. Check your oil. Is is way past the full mark, and/or a milk shake color?

Maybe it's something simple as your Radiator cap going bad! That's a cheap fix. If someone just flushed your Coolant system recently, I would then think it wasn't done correctly and that's why your have noises. Some cars have bleed screws to get all the air out because the Radiator is lower then the Top of the engine and so filling up the Radiator would still leave trapped air in the system. Normally on a truck or SUV, the top of the Radiator is higher then the Engine. Air is going to go to the High part since it's lighter then water.

Reply to
JBDragon