1985 K5 305 700TH 203(?)

Year: 1985 of the year of 'our lord' Make: Chevrolet (the American car with a French name) Model: Full Size Blazer / K5

4X4: Yes Engine: 305CUI Transmission: 700TH Transfer Case: 203 I think

Problem: Put a 1985 torque converter from a 700TH on a 1983 700TH. Torque converter slipped around input shaft on 83' transmission. Had to take transmission out - again - what a PITA. But that's the easy part - just drops out on it's own.

Question 1: Input Shaft Diamatres; Large Shaft: 1.402 Small Shaft: .899 What are these shafts called, what do they do, and what are the tolerances on these shafts? Will I be able to put the 83' torque converter back on with no problems? Question 2: Torque Converter; The 83' torque converter was just left out in the driveway. It got rained on. Didn't think I would need it. Is this FUBARed or FUButRepairable? If FUBARed can and where can/should I purchase a new one? If FUBRed how should I go about repairing it?

Please contribute with abusive remarks and hidden help. I promise I wont tell anyone that you were being nice and helping someone. I swear.

Reply to
KJ

Why ask for tolerances? My calipers cannot reach down into the torque converter.

FUButRepairable?

Reply to
KJ

they are called 'input shafts'

they take power off the TC turbine and couple it to the input drum

they also contain passages to get oil to: input clutches, over-run clutches,

3-4 c;utches, and supply apply/re;ease oil to the TC clutch

tolerances: if the splines look good, use it

yes, if it is uncontaminated with debris from the original melt-down or water

FUButRepairable?

it's screwed

Precision of New Hampton, IA or your local transmission shop

see above

Reply to
Gary Glaenzer

. The NG now bestows the ......

"More Gooder Post" award to the following candidate........

snipped-for-privacy@REMOVEworldnet.att.net (KJ) who qualified for nomination with this recent posting........

Year: 1985 of the year of 'our lord' Make: Chevrolet (the American car with a French name) Model: Full Size Blazer / K5

4X4: Yes Engine: 305CUI Transmission: 700TH Transfer Case: 203 I think

Problem: Put a 1985 torque converter from a 700TH on a 1983 700TH.

Torque converter slipped around input shaft on 83' transmission.

Had to take transmission out - again - what a PITA. But that's the easy part - just drops out on it's own.

Question 1: =A0=A0=A0=A0Input Shaft Diamatres; =A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0Large Shaft: 1.402 =A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0Small Shaft: .899 =A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0What are these shafts called, what do they do, and what are the tolerances on these shafts?

Will I be able to put the 83' torque converter back on with no problems?

Question 2: =A0=A0=A0=A0Torque Converter; =A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0The 83' torque converter was just left out in the driveway. It got rained on. Didn't think I would need it.

Is this FUBARed or FUButRepairable?

If FUBARed can and where can/should I purchase a new one?

If FUBRed how should I go about repairing it?

Please contribute with abusive remarks and hidden help. I promise I wont tell anyone that you were being nice and helping someone. I swear. ~~~~ ~~~~ KJ, answers to your questions........

quest. 1)

input shaft

spline count: small shaft 27.....large shaft 30 (not what you wanted..??....try this...) :

no: see question 2

quest. 2)

yes/no

yes/tranny supply store

buy another one

~~~ continuation of abusive remarks and hidden help

never,ever,never,ever,never,ever............. reuse a convertor......unless told to do so by greater minds.

check the splines on the input shaft and make sure they are good......not sanded off because you fired up the ole K5 and tried for an hour to make it move because you were too damn proud to admit that there was even the slightest of possibillities that you didn't know what you were doing......... (make sure the splines are ok)

good post KJ

Scrib Abell ~:~answering the questions asked~:~

Reply to
Scribb Abell

KJ, answers to your questions........

quest. 1)

input shaft

spline count: small shaft 27.....large shaft 30 (not what you wanted..??....try this...) :

I was wondering if the two different ones had specific names. I found out what they do at
but not like "smaller input shaft of the 27 splinage perswasion for controlage of the imputer torqager"

no: see question 2

quest. 2)

yes/no

yes/tranny supply store

buy another one

~~~ continuation of abusive remarks and hidden help

never,ever,never,ever,never,ever............. reuse a convertor......unless told to do so by greater minds.

What would be a good price for a converter? I have found an after-market TC maker on ebay who has a TC made for trucks and trucks that tow - furnice brazed and all that jazz for $110 +$20 Ship - cheaper than any OE/M TC i've found anywhere.

He also said he had an OE TC for $100 $20ship. Doesn't seem quite right pricing -is the Ebay one too low, or the OE one too high?

check the splines on the input shaft and make sure they are good......not sanded off because you fired up the ole K5 and tried for an hour to make it move because you were too damn proud to admit that there was even the slightest of possibillities that you didn't know what you were doing......... (make sure the splines are ok)

I tried for maybe a few minutes in total in about 30 second starts as the symptoms slowly disintegrated..... The tranny fluid had some silver in it - but the splines don't look like anything slipped over them at all. What would your guess be, it came off the TC or the Input Shaft?

good post KJ

No it sucked. I forgot to mention how and when I purchased the truck and in what state and time zone and how long it took to take the various parts out and the sound that the guy I was working with made when he farted and the fact that they were heavy and that one of them was remanufactured and that the world spins on an axis that rotates every 27,000 years and causes the fluid in a torque converter to change direction and flow towards the pole star.

Scrib Abell ~:~answering the questions asked~:~

Reply to
KJ

jesus, mary and freaking joseph............call Precision of New Hampton, IA

72 bucks plus UPS for a converter
Reply to
Gary Glaenzer

Thank ya much.

Reply to
KJ

The number is 1-641-394-5955

Reply to
John Alt

~~~~~ ~~~~~ scrib abell laughed so hard he lost a fart.... when he read this....

snipped-for-privacy@mchsi.com (Gary=A0Glaenzer)

snipped-for-privacy@mchsi.com (Gary Glaenzer)

jesus, mary and freaking joseph............call Precision of New Hampton, IA

72 bucks plus UPS for a converter ~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~

I think I would have as well. I called them today and found that they only supply tranny shops, and that the closet satellite to me was farking expensive. Unless you can get it for me at that price Gary - the guy on E-Bay has been the cheapest thus far.

HOWEVER

Why can't I use my old TC? Here are my neaderthal thoughts on the subject;

It still holds oil. It still spins. I should be able to evaporate the water out of it. Why can't I use it? It's a beeter truck ($150) a bone yard tranny ($0) and cheap unskilled labor (-$250ish).

I've been told not to and I want to know why.

Please hold back the abusive remarks, I just want facts.

Reply to
KJ

~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~ KJ...gives some VERY important diagnosis info......with this....

I think I would have as well. I called them today and found that they only supply tranny shops, and that the closet satellite to me was farking expensive. Unless you can get it for me at that price Gary - the guy on E-Bay has been the cheapest thus far. HOWEVER Why can't I use my old TC? Here are my neaderthal thoughts on the subject; It still holds oil. It still spins. I should be able to evaporate the water out of it. Why can't I use it? It's a beeter truck ($150)

A bone yard tranny ($0)

and......

cheap unskilled labor (-$250ish).

I've been told not to and I want to know why.

Please hold back the abusive remarks, I just want facts. ==== KJ....KJ.....KJ........ you could have said that at the git-go you know.......

IF THE OLD TRANNY WAS MOVING at all........

and....

If you don't mind taking the chance that you may have to pull the tranny back out again... (and for the life of me....I can't really think you're worried about it...considering the quality of parts your using).......then do this......

turn the convertor upside down over something to catch at least a gallon of fluid in.....and let it drain over night....

stab the convertor and hang yer tranny....

THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT I WOULD DO ... if I wuz you...but I have access to a lift..and can drop a 4x4 tranny in less than 30 minutes, and have one in and going down the road in less than 45....

In all seriousness...if I were you...and money is an issue, you have the time, it's a beater truck, ..then I would definatly "take the chance" on the convertor and install it. Just be sure to run the truck around the block ONLY to be sure it shifts..then drop the pan and do a filter and fluid on it to be sure you have all the water out.

KNOW THIS........

water will wipe the material off a set of clutches real quick like......so just be shure to drain it good overnight and then do the fluid change.

a little info fer yuh......

2 years ago I had a radiator go out on me and PUMP a 700R4 .....FULL OF WATER.....

i shit you not.....

I put the truck on the lift.....dropped the pan and let the truck sit dripping overnight...slapped a new filter on it and put the pan back on with the old gasket......THEN...... I disconnected the return line at the tranny and with the truck idling in gear....I ran more than 20 gallons of fresh fluid through the system, catching the fluid out the return line in a waste oil drum. (if the fluids pink.....it's got water) Did one final filter and fluid change.

It was still shifting good when I sold it about

6 months ago.

KJ.....give it a shot if it's a money thing.... I think you'll be okay.

Scribs Abell (R-U) ~:~never,ever,never,ever,never............ reuse a convertor.............. unless told to do so by brighter minds.~:~

Reply to
Scribb Abell

Why re-instated? The way you've been talking about me "wanting to fix something on my truck" I figured you would remember throught all my postings that I was trying to get a dirt cheap truck going. I would LOVE to spend no more money than there are cubic inches ($305)

It seems to come out very 'well/easily' if it is roled - but if you think I should turn it over like that I'd trust your 20+ years of shroom collections.

I have a new filter/gasket set for when it goes back in. The set that I put in the last time, was of course, new as well. Would it be a cost-effective thing to put the new-old filter in for the first change? I was planning on running it for a short time to move more fluid through it. I was even thinking of then after that another fluid change - so maybe I should do a dirty, a dirty and then go to my new? I have enough for new filters and even a new TC now, but again I would like the bragging rights of "my cheap ass k5"

I've never seen that, but I've been told of weird fluid in weird places - like a water jacket full of gasoline.

Well is it a smarts thing or a money thing? I DO have the money now --- yada yada yada I think you get the idea.

Reply to
KJ

~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~ Scrib wrote.....

IF THE OLD TRANNY WAS MOVING at all........

and....

If you don't mind taking the chance that you may have to pull the tranny back out again... (and for the life of me....I can't really think you're worried about it...considering the quality of parts your using).......

then do this...... turn the convertor upside down over something to catch at least a gallon of fluid in.....and let it drain over night....

stab the convertor and hang yer tranny....

THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT I WOULD DO ... if I wuz you...

but I have access to a lift..and can drop a 4x4 tranny in less than 30 minutes, and have one in and going down the road in less than 45....

In all seriousness...if I were you...and money is an issue, you have the time, it's a beater truck, .then I would definatly "take the chance" on the convertor and install it.

Just be sure to run the truck around the block ONLY to be sure it shifts..then drop the pan and do a filter and fluid on it to be sure you have all the water out. ===== ===== KJ writes.....

Why re-instated? The way you've been talking about me "wanting to fix something on my truck" I figured you would remember throught all my postings that I was trying to get a dirt cheap truck going. I would LOVE to spend no more money than there are cubic inches ($305) The fluid seems to come out very 'well/easily' if it is roled - but if you think I should turn it over like that I'd trust your 20+ years of shroom collections.

I have a new filter/gasket set for when it goes back in. The set that I put in the last time, was of course, new as well. Would it be a cost-effective thing to put the new-old filter in for the first change? I was planning on running it for a short time to move more fluid through it. I was even thinking of then after that another fluid change - so maybe I should do a dirty, a dirty and then go to my new? I have enough for new filters and even a new TC now, but again I would like the bragging rights of "my cheap ass k5" Well is it a smarts thing or a money thing? I DO have the money now --- yada yada yada I think you get the idea. == KJ, the only thing I would worry about at this point is water in the convertor. So make sure you drain it well before you put it back in.

If the fluid is pink....I wouldn't even consider using it.

Reply to
Scribb Abell