1986 S-10 Service Engine Soon Light

Service Engine Soon light comes on. I realize I need to get connected to a computer to read the exact diagnostics, but what sort of things am I possibly looking at?

4-cyl engine has no power steering, power brakes, A/C, anything attached. Only 40K miles, oil changed 2000 miles ago. There is enough oil. However, light brownish greasy substance, consistency of white lithium grease, only brown, noted on oil cap when removed.

What else could be wrong?

Thanks!

Reply to
Dave Busch

sidewinder

Good advice. Thanks! I'll look into it. The radiator cap was stuck today. I need to try it again with gloves so I can get a good grip.

The oil on the dipstick looks normal, but the brownish stuff was on the filler cap. I didn't notice any creamy appearance to the oil when I changed it.

As you might guess, a 17 year old truck with only 40K miles has not been driven much in the last eight or nine years, if that helps. The last few weeks it's run very rough when first started, but OK after it warmed up a little. Then Service Engine Soon light came on briefly a couple times, and now is on most of the time, at which point I stopped driving it until I could figure out what's wrong to the extent that I'd know if I had enough money to fix it.

I just started driving the S-10 regularly last March and have done only a few basic things like changing the oil and filter, air filter, new battery, v-belt, antifreeze, & brake job. Sparkplugs were for next spring.

Thanks again.

Reply to
Dave Busch

I know the older s-10 pickups and blazers had a problem with intake gaskets going out. This would do the same thing as a head gasket going out. Does it seem to has lost power? One thing you can try is putting water or some thing like carb cleaner and spray it at the intake gasket and listen to the motor and see if it dies down, if it does this in one particular spot it probably needs a intake gasket. Just a little thought.

Mike

Reply to
Willis