Change oil soon indicator light

I'm wondering what exactly triggers the Change Oil Soon light on a Saturn LS2 2000. Is it on a timer or milage linked or does it actually have a sensor that checks the oil quality....

The reason I ask is that mine is coming on when I start my car and goes off after about a minute. My oil is only about 1000 miles old, the level is fine, and it looks pretty good on the stick....

Is it possibly linked the my Service Engine Soon light that is perpetually on?

The car has 47000 miles.

Thanks,

Ken

Reply to
Ken Knott

Just had mt 2000 SL1 into Saturn today for an oil change because the change oil soon light came on. I was told that it is triggered by the amount of starts the car had. I only had about 4000 klms on it. But was changed back in September. Also he said the oil only has about 10 percent life left to it at this stage when it is sensored.

Hope this helps.

Reply to
Shawn

All the dash lights should come on when you switch the key to the on position to demonstrate the bulbs work. At least that's my understanding - looks like you got a good reply as to how the oil change interval is calculated.

Reply to
Jonnie Santos

Ken,

At only 1,000 miles, it sounds like whoever changed your oil last time may not have reset the oil change indicator. This is done by pressing the reset button located in the under-hood fuse-box.

As for your other question, it is definitely guess-work and not any type of oil quality sensor. I'm not sure what it's looking at to make that guess.

Regards, Steve

Reply to
Steven Bertsch

It's not based on time or mileage, it's based on engine revolutions with adjustment/penalty factors based on engine operating temperature and engine load. After the calculated oil life is used up, the light comes on. My guess is that somebody forgot to reset the oil life monitor when they changed the oil last..

Reply to
Robert Hancock

Gosh, I forgot to reset the oil life monitor when I changed oil in my Saturn a week ago...Thanks for remaining!

Reply to
Jerry