Service Engine Soon light

Hi all!

Two days ago I replaced the cap, rotor and wires on my '99 Dodge Caravan,

3.0. (38,000 miles) Today, the Service Engine Soon light came on. Since it is still covered by the Extended Warranty, I made an appointment to have it looked at, along with having the clockspring recall done on Monday. I double and triple checked my work, looking to see if maybe I incorrectly wired the cylinders (this checks OK) or made some other basic mistake, but could not find any problem. The van seems to run fine. I may go up to the nearest AutoZone and see if they will scan the codes for me to see what the problem may be. My question to the group is: Does anyone know of a common problem/error/reason why the light should come on so soon after doing the wires/cap/rotor? Or, is this probably just coincidence? I know it is difficult/impossible to say without knowing the codes. I would just like to know if anyone might have some insight on this.

Thanks!

Bret

Reply to
Bret Knol

Cheap/defective parts. If you have a notion, put in the phrase:

"counterfeit auto parts"

into Google and spend a few hours getting educated.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

Reply to
tim bur

I was offer the choice of the cheap set or the "premium" set. I choose the premium. However, if special wires are required, then I guess this distinction may be moot.

Reply to
Bret K

I am assuming the car still runs without issue and keep in mind that without seeing the codes it is just a guess at this point. With that said (and though it would be quite early on), I would make my first one O2 Sensor. A couple other responses I have seen regarding low end plug wires I would find doubtful. One, if this were the cause there would most certainly be a change in how well the car ran (hesitation, rough idle, something) and I do not see where it would set a code. Now the possibility of a BAD wire/plug could cause this I suppose, but again, you would notice a difference in the way the vehicle ran and you make no mention of this.

Try pulling the codes from the ignition switch (On, Off, On, Off, On). This should cause a sequence of grouped flashes of the check engine light. Each group separated by a short pause. For example: 1, 2, 2, 1, 5, 5, would work out to code 12, 21, 55

12 = PCM power loss or battery recently disconnected (tends to show with other codes for odd reasons) 21 = O2 Sensor 55 = End of codes

Have you double checked all the wire harnesses around where you were working to be sure you did not knock one loose while doing the tune-up?

Reply to
PC Medic

Yes, the van runs quite well now. Yes, I did check the wiring around where I was working, just to make sure I didn't do something stupid, and found nothing out of place. Of course, this does not guarantee that I didn't do something stupid, but if I did, I can't find it.

I will check around the O2 sensor and see if I can find anything amiss. Failing this, I will, no doubt, find out tomorrow when I bring it in to the dealer for warranty and recall repair.

I was under the impression that the on-off-on-off-on-off did not work on after the '96 model year. (It works fine on my '92 Dynasty). Am I wrong in this assumption? I'll have to check it out.

Reply to
Bret Knol

Well, got a call back from the dealer. The light was set because the cooling fan relay had shorted. OK, so it was not anything I did, but just a co-incidence. The bummer part about this is that this part is not covered by my extended warranty, and I have to pay to get it fixed. ($275.00). My next investment will be in a OBD II code scanner and a FSM for this vehicle.

Reply to
Bret Knol

Fan relay $275 !!!!! Pick one up at Advance or AutoZone and pop it in yourself.

Reply to
PC Medic

Reply to
tim bur

Well, today, 6 days after it was "repaired" the light came back on again, and the radiator fans don't work, and the engine overheats. Last time they replaced a fuse ( part number 4868008-AA) and the radiator fan relay (Part # 4707286-AF). I have another appointment at 7:00 AM Monday. I wonder what they will do this time? Anyone here have any thoughts?

Reply to
Bret Knol

How did it go?

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

Well, they replaced the radiator module and the fuse. Part numbers 7002001 and 8017002. It seems to be functioning correctly, but let's see if it lasts longer than a week this time. They said that the module was intermittently drawing too much current and blowing the fuse. There was no charge this time. (Total bill would have been just over $500.00)

The tech's notes say this:

Recheck SES light and fans inoperative. Found the circuit protection blown again, found the coolant fan module would intermittently have high amperage draw and would blow the fuse. Replaced the module, deduct waived. Prior history. C/S/C07150101/0.7/9R 85410000/0.9

This is what I don't quite understand.

1) I have the "added care" warranty on the van. 2) This time there was no charge for the repair, not even for the parts. 3) A $50.00 charge was waived due to "prior history"

This would appear to me (and I could quite easily be very wrong) that the repair this time was covered by the warranty. I can't seem to tell for sure by the paperwork I have. If this is so, (and, like I said I don't know for sure) it would appear that the dealer collected twice for the same problem on my van. Once by cash that I paid, once by warranty.

Is there any way that I could find out for sure? If he did collect twice, and the first time which I paid for didn't fix the problem, would I be entitled to a refund?

Reply to
Bret Knol