1991 Silverado 1500 - How to remove power steering pump

Hello all,

I have a 1991 Silverado 1500 and am trying to replace the power steering pump. Can anyone provide insight as to how to remove the old one? It is mounted to a cast bracket that is bolted to the engine block. One of the bolts that holds the cast bracket is hidden behind the pump reservoir, and the bolts that hold the pump to the bracket are hidden behind the power steering pump pulley. Of course, the pump pully bolt is rusty and removing the pulley while the pump is in the vehicle is turning out to be a nightmare. Am I missing something here? It's hard to imagine that this job is that hard.

Thanks, Ed

Reply to
Ed Bacon, Jr.

it can be if the pully is bad. But there is no other way. I just replaced my fs bronco pump and was black and blue three days because i did not remove the radiator shroud first. be sure and line up the pully with the others when you use the bolt to pull it back on., or your belt will jump off , or become shredded in days. old john.

Reply to
<ajeeperman

There is no pump pulley retaining bolt, so I'm not sure what you are referring to here. You have to use special tools to pull the pump pulley off the shaft, and reinstall it. Once the pulley is off, you already can see what need to be done....it's fairly simple once the pulley is off.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai