1994 chev 3500 with automatic

this truck has only 50,000 mi, 6.5 with turbo, i want to pull my camper, does anyone have knowledge if the transmissions are ok for towing, thank you Bob

Reply to
Bob Smith

What size camper, weight and height??

You should have a 4L80E which should do the job easily. Some added care for the transmission should be in order. Check your transmission coolers, one in the radiator end tank and one in front of the radiator. No restrictions and clean are the orders of the day. Consider changing to Mercon 5, or is it Mercon 6, whichever it is, it is the new synthetic fluid that does a great job of heat rejection.

Probably a greater need will be additional cooling for the engine. Consider the new (98 and newer) dual thermostat coolant crossover and high volume GM water pump. All available from your local GM dealer.

Have you considered joining the 62-65 Diesel page, there are a boat load of guys there that know the 6.5 TD inside out and offer a lot of good information.

I pull a 29 foot fifth wheel over 10,000 foot passes, not fast but I get there with a 95 GMC 3/4 ton 6.5 TD. Don't expect great mileage if your camper is very heavy.

George

Bob Smith wrote:

Reply to
George Vigneron

thank you for the advice, my camper weighs about 5200lbs, the fluid color is pinkish, the truck was never abused it is my neighbors, he just passed away, i can see big lines from the rad going back to trans, i ll see what the trans is , if all goe well ill get the duau thermos and change the water pump and fluid, thanks again Bob

Reply to
Bob Smith

pinkish or red? pink isn't good. 5200lbs is nothing for a 1 ton gas or diesel. put (or have installed) an aux trans cooler in the truck.

-Bret

Reply to
Bret Chase

i have a 96 chevy crewcab dually 6.5 turbo diesel. has 143,000 miles and mine does awsome for towing

Reply to
Gary Teague