1995 Cehvy Lumina Apv van

my mother in-law has a 1995 lumina van with a 3.1 throttle body .. it is running real bad leans out .. if you unplug the map sens then plug it back in it helps for a few seconds ! . we have changed the map, tps, plugs wires rebuilt the ditributer, taken the exhaust off dows not help changed the ecm.. changed injectors ... i am out of ideas HELP ME PLEASE !

thanks Bill

W.Rowe

Any DTC's?

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

fuel filter

change it and get on with life

Reply to
TranSurgeon

Distributor...............Coil packs.................same shit different pile in some folks minds??

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

I thought of that possibility, but he said he rebuilt it. I've never seen a rebuilt coil pack which leads me to question the rest of the work he's supposedly done. Gary's likely right about the fuel filter though, if not it would still be the first place to start. Bob

Reply to
Bob

Me neither . When they go, they go. It would be rather hilarious is he dumped $400 worth of parts into it and it turned out to be a $4 fuel filter! The ol' backyard "shotgun approach." Never works and costs a goddamn fortune!

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

we have changed the filter and pump . i am stating to think it mightb the temp sensor that controlls the fan .

Reply to
W.Rowe

i never said I put a rebuilt coil pack on it what are you all tripping about ! DOC i have watched you on here for almost 2 years you seemed real cool now you are all sounding liek f*ck heads ! for get i ever asked a question on here ! ok f*ck all of you the god damn van had a distributor.... throttlebody injection no cam shaft sens , OPEN A BOOK AND LOOK BEFORE YOU MAKE THE NEXT PERSON FEEL LIKE SHIT>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Reply to
W.Rowe

including the one along the frame rail ?

Reply to
TranSurgeon

yes the one on the fram ! and the pump and the strainer .. new collant temp sensor today . new tps idle air control valve . have sprayed around the intake mainafold and tbi base and does not rev or bog out i really am not trying to b a ass around here i jsut dont knnow why every one was so rude about the distributer and all the other stuff .. sorry about the typos all i have sever nerv damage and cant run my hand to well .. so in that case i did not personally put all the parts on my father_in_law has done most of it . but he has 30 years in a garage .. i am out of ideas

Reply to
W.Rowe

Whoa, someone is just a tad bit oversensitive isn't he?

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

If you don't like using computer codes to provide a starting point in your diagnosis (if one is current or stored) then I would have to describe you as a "stupid" mechanic. It's a tool, you use whatever tools you need. It might not be "absolutely necessary", but it certainly will speed things up.

It would be very much like installing a piston with rings into a cylinder hole using a screwdriver to roll each piston ring into the hole....sure it will work, but why not use that piston ring compressor sitting over there on the bench?

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

OK ace, 2003 GMC Sierra 2500 w/6.0 gasser and 4L80e, 43,000 miles, comes into the shop with what the customer describes as a miss at idle.......that clears up after truck has reached 20 mph or so. After taking for a spin you do in fact realize there is a persistent miss at idle and low speeds, anything over 20 mph and you're in the clear. No notable loss of power or fuel ecomomy.

What would YOU do next to diagnose the problem?

Doc (a wet behind the ears parts changer)

Reply to
"Doc"

Here's another one. Customer comes in with 1995 GMC Surburban, 5.7L TBI,

4L60e, 120,000 miles. Says the truck all of a sudden started idling really high and has difficulty starting when hot. Usually idles at 600 RPM, is now idling at 1000 RPM. You check it out and indeed the truck idles at 1000 RPM at all temps. As soon as you get on the gas it behaves normally.

Without using the computer DTC's, how would you diagnose and solve this problem, and what was the problem?