2000 Ford Ranger -- Starts up then dies...HELP ME SOLVE THIS PUZZLE!!

My 2000 Ford Ranger with 62k miles starts up if I let it sit for a while, then it starts to sound real mufflie after about a minute at which point it bogs down and dies. Then, it usually won't start again or does just for 10-15 seconds. At this point, it just cranks over, and sounds like those street cars that have a "high-performance" muffler replacement.

The week before this happened, I sensed a little less power output. The day before, it really gave me trouble at moderate engine rpm. It felt like it was missing or something. I don't know.

It's been very mild here lately, but it was cold and so I put gasline antifreeze in the tank and changed the fuel filter. I also changed the two ignition coils. The secondary resistance of both coils were lower than spec., and the sparks were drizzlie brown. Changing the coils did not fix the problem. This 4 cylinder has 8 spark plugs and two coils. One plug fires during the compression stroke and the other during the exhaust stroke (why the exhaust stroke I don't know). The first night it gave me this trouble, I looked under the hood when it was dark in an attempt to see any arcing sparks from the wires to block. I saw none.

Also, I measured the fuel rail pressure and it remained at 64-68 psi even when the engine began to bog down and stall, so I believe the fuel system is good because this is within spec.

I tightened as many bolts as possible to stop any possible intake air leaks, but could not reach intake manifold-to-block bolts. I assume, that the oxygen sensor would pick up a lean condition, and report it by turning on the check engine light if this were the case. Am I correct?

Since the check engine light is not on, I also assume that the crank postion sensor is still good. I had a VW where the crank postion sensor failed intermittently, and the OBDII system set the check engine light, so I scanned it to find the problem. I assume the Ranger's OBDII would pick up any intermittent sensors causing this, so I kind of rule out any intermittent sensor problems.

The next test I plan to do is an engine compression test to check for a blown head gasket or leaking valve.

I also checked resistance from engine to ground and it was less than

0.5 ohm. That seems okay to me.

Timing belt visually looks okay. If it were the timing belt, when I come back the next day, I believe it would not start up and run for a full minute before bogging down and dying again. So, I rule the timing belt out.

If I let it sit overnight, it will start back up and run for about a full minute then die. If it is intermittent, then it should be a sensor and the OBDII should give me a check engine light. If it were the head gasket, a leaky valve, or intake manifold type air leak, then it should not make any difference whether I let it sit overnight or not. Why does it go for about a minute before conking out of fuel pressure does not drop at the rail?

I am not familiar with throttle position sensor, MAP sensor and some of the others, but I assume that the engine will automatically go into its default settings when one of these fails -- and also trip the check engine light.

Can or should I clean out/test the fuel injectors? Any other/better ideas?

Thanks in advance for any help

Mike

Reply to
RepairJunkie

Well the midrange rpm SPUTTER sounds like the DPFE (EGR pressure differential sensor) is gone bad. That mileage is about the time I had to change mine. It could be stuck telling the computer that its getting alot of EGR flow into the engine and the engine is leaning out the mixture to compensate..

Can you rev the engine up to about 2,000 and it stay running? My DPFE sensor went bad a week before I got the CEL, and then it told me EGR Low Flow. Its about $55 from the parts store and you have to have the Ford part number to cross reference to get a new one (atleast I did at O'Reillys).

Ford Tech

Reply to
Ford Tech

Ford Tech,

Can I rev the engine up to about 2,000 rpm and keep it running? The pattern has been, that it will start after sitting overnight. It will run for about 60 seconds then start to -- I guess you call it sputter out -- then it dies. This does seem to happen around the 2400 rpm range. (This is a two wheel drive standard, without a tachometer.) Do you know of any way I can short this sensor or all the sensors, causing the computer to go into some kind of open loop mode using its own stored default sensor values. This means it will ignore all sensor input and just run on some 'know good' configuration mode . If it runs, then I know a sensor is telling the computer to do this and it will likely be the sensor itself that is causing the problem. I haven't scanned the computer since no check engine light is on. Also, I don't have a shop manual. I have the Haynes and it really, really lacks. Any suggestions where to buy good indepth technical info. I need real meat!!

Also, I am going to change the spark plug wires ($27) just in case I am not seeing some arc to the block, and I have not done a compression check.

Anyway I can test this DPFE (EGR pressure differential sensor)?

Thanks so much.

Mike

Reply to
RepairJunkie

Now sense you say the problem still manifests at a high RPM, I would say the fuel pump might be in question, or the fuel pressure regulator.. Do you have a way to check that?

Every vehicle anymore and since 96 starts up in an "Open Loop" configuration however, It doesnt ignore all sensors. It only ignores the O2 sensor and runs at a predetermined mixture. Then once the vehicle has ran a pre-determined amout of time, engine reaches a certain temp, and the O2 sensor starts signalling to the PCM, then it will go into closed loop and start regulating a/f ratio.

You can try resetting the KAM, or keep alive memory. Just unplug the battery negative cable for about 5min.. Then see if it will start..

Also try running it with the air filter out, is it clean??

Its really starting to sound like an idle air solenoid problem now though..

Ford Tech

Reply to
Ford Tech

Ford Tech,

You're great! I sat down and meticulously read the engine management section in my repair manual. I came up with many of the same conclusions that you have suggested -- including the idle air control solenoid. But, I won't get to run anymore tests until Wednesday because of the snow and cold.

Would you or anybody happen to have any sensor output voltages for the DPFE at idle and at some midrange rpm value? I can easily test the EGR (EVR) solenoid, but I have no idea of the kind of output voltage or even millivoltage to expect from the DPFE sensor.

Thanks again Mike

Reply to
RepairJunkie

Ok,

With Key on, Engine Off you should see less than 0.2v. With the engine running, you should see anywhere between 0.3v-4.6v on the sig rtn pin.. You will have to backprobe the connector to get these voltages on the center pin.. You might also want to verify you have 5vref on pin 1 and check your ground on pin 3...

Ford Tech

Reply to
Ford Tech

Ford Tech, I can't thank you enough. I'll let you know how it goes. Mike

Reply to
RepairJunkie