98 caravan 3.0 wont idle.

okay so a while ago, my moms caravan was overheating so i replaced the thermostat. in the process i snapped one of the housing bolts and i didnt have the tools to remove the remainder of the stud. so there it sat for about 2 months until i purchased a propane torch and vice grips. the torch wouldnt fit in that small space so i removed the distributor but i forgot to mark the timing and i lost it completely. i finished installing the thermostat and started working on the timing of the distributor. we finally got it running but now it runs for 3 seconds then dies at idle. the weird thing is that when i go to start it, the engine turns over but doesnt start. the second time i try and start it, in the middle of cranking the engine will just stop abruptly like its jammed then start spinning again and fire right up. then it starts to idle rough. i unplugged the idle valve and it runs a bit better but then it runs very rough and when i give it gas is sounds like theres a violent muffled "CRUCKCRUCKCRUCK" inside the engine. i thought it could be the old common plugged cat but i pulled it out and it was clean. i dont know what else it could be, ive changed the plugs cap and rotor and still the same problem. i even replaced the idle valve and it did nothing so i returned the part. somebody please help me im running out of ideas. theres no check engine lights and no codes. it runs but idles poorly when i unplug the map sensor and tps and iac all at once but then it overheats.

-------------------------------------

CommunityWeb and RSS access to your favorite newsgroup - alt.autos.dodge - 12140 messages and counting!##-----------------------------------------------##

Reply to
tito chacon

what about temperature sensor. once my temperature sensor was unplugged and it was not iddling.

One possible thing is who might wired the spark plugs in wrong order or mixed them up.

Plus, if you did not cut any wire or kill any sensor, whatever you say you did, there is nothing wrong.

Reply to
ulas c coskun

One is that your timing is still off, find top dead center of the # one cylinder , and line up the plug wire tyo that cylinder and make sure you have and are using the correct firing order. the second to check is your fuel pressure regulator and the fuel pressure. It also sounds like you have a loose/bad connection to your starter. and if you have problems with it shifting when you drive it, check the vacuum modulator if it hasd one. pull the vacuum hose off and see if there is any sign of transmission fluid. if so replace the vacuum modulator which is on the transmission.

Hope this helps and good day to you.

CommunityWeb and RSS access to your favorite newsgroup - alt.autos.dodge - 12144 messages and counting!##-----------------------------------------------##

Reply to
greg