1997 Chev Suburban C1500 - Floaty Steering // Shocks

I drive our suburban for the first time in a while and ave found the steering to have become very light and it feels somewhat floaty. It has covered 100,000 miles and all the suspension components are totally original. It seems to have gotten a bit soft recently so I plan to replace the Shocks with Bilstein Heavy Duty units. (Can anybody confirm that these units will be OK - I would appreciate a firmer ride with less body roll>0 Can the soft shockers make the steering light? I have checked the Pitman and Idler arms for wear, also the ball joints - these all seem fine. Any other areas that I should investigate? The floaty feel makes the truck feel unsafe at speed and when braking.

Any and all help appreciated.

Reply to
Droopy

Check the rag joint where the steering shaft connects to the gear box.. Its covered by a plastic shield. Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning