1997 Chev Suburban C1500 Power Steering

Any one know how to change out the power steering hoses. I have a hose that is leaking at the point where the metal pipe from the pump joins to a rubber hose. I cannot figure out how to split the hose from the metal pipe at that point. Any advise would be welcome.

Also what is involved in replacing the Rag joint in the steering?

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Droopy

you dont split it, the new hose comes with that metal part attached, it has to be that way on the high side. Lots of pressure!

the rag- remove the steering shaft to change it. The large plastic cover usually twisted off, it holdes itself on at the hose fitting on the steering gear(the same hose as the one you are changing) there is usually a bolt through a hole on both ends. remove those bolts and slip the shaft off of the steering gear first(probably have to pry it off with a screw driver) then up top. Do not rotate the steering wheel much because there is a clock spring in there that goes to the airbag. so if you rotate the wheel more than a few times (like your kid playing with it, spinning it, when its disconnected) it will ruin the clock spring.

Just fyi, ps hoses are not always very easy to change. They are usually very hard to reack behind the pump and you must use a tubing wrench too. The other end on the gear usually requires a tubing crows foot to get to it. Well may not require it but its alot easier. either way you need tubing wrenches for sure.

Reply to
ShoeSaleman

and good quality wrenches, or they will spread and round off the corners of the nuts. old john

Reply to
<ajeeperman

Thanks for the replies.

I did take a look last night and think that I will need to be a contortionist to be able to get at the ps hose connections. I will try this weekend.

Thanks again.

Reply to
Droopy

Just leave the steering wheel locked and you don't have to worry about the "clock spring". Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

Where can you buy the Replacement parts for the Rag joint? No one in our local parts place seems to know what it is.

Doug

Reply to
Droopy

Thats because the new younger people do not take the time to learn anything about their job except friday is payday and lunch is midday. old john

Hello, Droopy! You wrote on Fri, 24 Feb 2006 14:15:53 GMT:

D> Doug

With best regards, snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net. E-mail: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net

Reply to
<ajeeperman

Very True...

Quick to learn PAID HOLIDAYS

Reply to
somebody

Most auto parts joints that have a "MotorMite/ Dorman/Help" section will have them hanging. Called Steering Coupler.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

yep, look for the isle with a BUNCH of small red hanging platic over cardboard type packages. While your there look at all the interesting wierd stuff they have that you though you could only get at the dealer :)

Reply to
ShoeSaleman

And indeed the local oReilly did indeed have them right where you said they would be. Do you know which size iis on the 1997 C1500 suburban - Oreilly had two sizes - 2.5/8inches and 3.3/16inches.

Is the original piece held in my bolts like the replacement or do I have to grind off rivet heads. I an pretty certain this is my problem - I found what looks like a piece of the ragjoint on my driveway!!

Doug

Reply to
Droopy