1997 S-10 4.3 Liter Leaking Oil

Ok everyone, I need some advice. I was racing someone the other day with my S-10, when I got home I noticed the truck was dripping oil at the back of the engine and it was leaking out the bell housing covering the torque converter and flywheel. I looked at the oil cooler lines and oil filter, they are not leaking, you think its the rear main seal? I took the cap off and shined a flashlight up near the fly wheel and there was oil dripping, I think its the rear engine seal, but just want some of your advice. Its it easy for me to replace, or should I take it in and have it done. I think it would be easy to do other than getting to the bolts connecting the trans to the back of the engine block.

Reply to
Kiel Uyttenhove

Two wheel drive..or 4wheel drive? You have to pull the engine out if it's a 2 wheel drive. It's not much better with a 4wheel drive, but at least the engine stays in the vehicle. From my own experience, the oil pan gasket is more likely to be the cause of the oil leak.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

Reply to
Kiel Uyttenhove

Feel free to pull the transmission, you still have to pull the engine at least up a ways in order to get the pan off on a 2WD....even if you do take the trans out.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

pan off what? The transmission pan? Just curious, I still havent decided wether or not I want to take the truck in to get it fixed or do it myself, I just had the engine rebuilt, and I am thinking of what i can tell my mechanic of how it happend, I was ragging on the truck when this occured, I get road easily, what can I say. But let me know every detail, sounds like you have encounterd this type of problem before.

Reply to
Kiel Uyttenhove

He's a GM certified mechanic in Canada that knows his shit inside and out. He means the oil pan on the engine.

GMC Gremlin

Reply to
GMC Gremlin

Thank you for letting us know how old you are! Now I can factor that into your posts.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai