1997 S-10 Anti Lock Brakes

I have a 1997 S-10 and yesterday i was moving very slowly, under 10 pmh. I hit the brake and it acted as if the anti lock brakes were on and working, but they shouldn't have been working. The pedal seemed very firm, there didn't seem to be any flex or cushion to the pedal, but yet it was like there was no stopping action either. I have to say it scared the bejeezers out of me. I did notice the anti lock brake light was on the other day. I checked the fluid and it semed to be ok. Has anyone every had this problem? Any advice on what to check or change? Thanks for any help,,,,,

Reply to
tom

that light on means there is something wrong with your ABS. My GUESS would be a bad or at least dirty wheel sensor. I'm not sure but you most likely need a scan tool on that truck to read the code. The condition its in its safer to drive it with the light ON because that means the ABS is disabled, and as you found out it will stop better :) Do a little research or buy a book to see if you can get code out of it at home.

Reply to
ShoeSalesman

I had the same problem with my 98 1500. There could be several reasons and GM has/had a recall out for 99 and up.

It could be a failed anti-lock modual. It could be dirty/corroded wheel sensors.

Mine was corroded/dirty wheel sensors that were removed, cleaned up and reinstalled. Works fine now.

There may be more reasons for this happening but more knowledgable people will have to post on that.

I've learned that I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy it! (The hell with my X-wife!) snipped-for-privacy@charter.net Remove the x for e-mail reply

A proud charter member of "PETAF", People for Eating Tasty Animals and Fish!!!

Reply to
Dan, danl, Redbeard uh Greybea

I wish i could disable the anti lock system, i am not a fan of the anti lock system after it failing with no warning. I do have a book and it mentions a few things, but not in detail. I had one place check the code, he said it didn;t come up. Maybe the light has to be on. My light comes on and off with no rhyme or reason. A mechanic at a local dealership said it is probably a sensor or wheel bearing. He said the wheel bearing could be shaking a little at low speed setting off the sensor. He also said the sensor and wheel bearings come together in a kit. I still need to check into that. I will clean up the calipers, rotors and hopefully sensors if i can find them and see if that helps. Thanks for the input, it is appreciated

Reply to
tom

Thanks for the input, i am going to try cleaning up everything and see what that does. I have to go the least expensive route first...smilesss,,,thanks again...

Reply to
tom

Go to your local library and see the books they have there. You can always copy the pertinent pages for reference. I remember looking in during the process and the hub/brake assembly looked like it was pretty much dis-assembled.

If I had the tools I might have attempted it myself while taking lots of pictures along the way :

Reply to
Dan, danl, Redbeard uh Greybea

I bought a scan tool from Harbor Freight Tools for $49.00 for my 98 S10. Sometimes on sale for $39 Works great for me. You can also goto AutoZone and they will scan it for you for free Mine agrees with them. (code readout)

***
Reply to
teranews