1997 S-10 lifter tick.

I just purchased a 97 S-10 with 83,000 miles. When the engine is cold, there's no lifter noise. But after warm up, there is a noticable tick at idle. Above idle its quiet hot or cold. Is this common? And is it a real problem? I'm running Kendall 10w30 GT1 oil with Lucas oil additive. any help would be appreciated.

Reply to
Ashley Walker

======================= First off dump the lucas additive. I bet someone has the link to guy that tested it, shows how it foams up like crazy. What is Kendall GT1? Synthetic? If you dont live in a very cold climate you might try 30wt. Also check to make sure it isnt an exaust leak. One cyl leaking at the manifold can sound just like a "tick"

Reply to
Scott M

Its been 20 or 25 years since I last used Kendall oil. It was junk back then. Lifter noises as you observed. Also high oil consumption.

Would also ditch the Lucas oil additive. If you needed whatever it is in the additives then GM would say so in your owner's manual.

Change your oil and filter. Use something like Mobil's "clean" refined oil, plain old Shell, or Havoline. Also use an AC/Delco filter as they are inexpensive and being OE are a very safe bet.

If you insist on more exotic solutions try an engine full of Mobil Delvac

15W-40. Its only $5.88/gallon at Walmart. More exotic try Shell Rotella-T 5W-40 (synthetic) which is sometimes on sale for $12.88 down from $17.88.

Bottom line: just use a different oil and see how that works for you. Don't "kill it with kindness" with over-the-counter additives as none do any good and many do harm.

Reply to
David Kelly

Agreed, it's shit.

Agreed again.

Agreed again.

OK, here's where you lost me. Why would he use oil designed for diesel engines in his S-10 gasser? Also, 15W40 or 5W-40 are WAY too thick for his

4.3. They will result in more lifter noise than he has now.

Some are great, the majority are snake-oil.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

I agree with doc. 15-40 is way to thick for that new of an engine. I run

15-40 in one of my 4.3's but its the only way it gets oil pressure these days. 437000 miles today and still running strong. Actually need to find a newer truck to put the motor in. it is falling apart around that wonderfull motor
Reply to
sidewinder

Its not exclusively a diesel oil. Delvac and Rotella are "heavy duty fleet" oils. Heavy on detergent and antiwear additives. Light on antifriction additives.

I disagree with the statement that 40 weight is "way too thick." Its a bit thicker. Its not for everyone. 15W-40 is thinner at operating temperatures than 5W-30 is cold. He said "no problems cold, problems warm." So I think its worth trying 5W-40 or 15W-40.

Someone said the Lucas additive makes oil foam. Quite possible. If so then its a sure cause of hydraulic lifter noise. Otherwise the lifters are dirty and not getting proper oil flow, or are just sticky. High detergent oil can help clean up that mess.

Don't see where he said the engine was a 4.3L. I have a 2.2L in my 2001 and other than its obvious none of the 2.2L's anatomy is where the Sonoma chassis expects it, I'm quite happy. So what if I have to shift down on hills? I get 25 MPG hauling the dirtbikes, and in 16k of logged miles worst MPG was 22 (hauling a Goldwing thru mountains of east TN). I use Mobil-1 5W-30. Walmart has been bad about keeping the 5 quart jugs of Mobil-1 in stock so when they are out of 5W-30 I'll use 10W-30.

Reply to
David Kelly

Ok, here's my setup. I have a '92 S-10 and I run Havoline 10w-40 in it with Restore additive. It has 186000 plus miles, starts cold or hot, idles dead smooth and the only smoke I see is if it sits a couple of days. Then, when I crank it I get a little puff of blue and that's it. This truck has always run better when I drive it regularly.

My dad was a mail carrier and lived in his GM cars at 150 to 200 miles per day. He said he tried 'em all and liked Havoline the best. Course, this was before synthetics. He said Quaker State was the worst.

I did try Dexcool (yellow) antifreeze in it but it seems to run much cooler with the green. So, the green it is.

If that helps, great.

Reply to
Drumstick