Oh boy, what's that noise?

'97 TJ, 4.0, roughly 130-140k on the odometer.

Bear with me, as I'm trying to narrow down the source of a persistent engine noise. I'm well versed in mechanics, but this is the first engine "rattle" I've run across that has been more noticeable at idle/ deceleration than under a load -- as a matter of fact, it's gone once you get the slightest load on the engine. I'd say it's louder than the constant tap-tap-tap of a bad lifter or rocker, but far softer than bearing noise. At idle, it the sound oscillates a bit and isn't quite as "even" as it is upon deceleration (where it sounds in time with every cylinder). Based upon the sound, my thoughts wander toward piston slap or a really loose timing chain, but that doesn't gel with the no-noise factor under a load, or with every other worn-out engine I've dealt with.

I only ask now because, with the recent failure of an idle control valve, "honey" idled in traffic on the way home at 3,000 rpm......which happens to be right around the no-load resonant frequency of this sound....and either it's a fair bit louder now or my head makes me think so.

Just to cover a few bases:

Not transmission/clutch related. Not an exhaust leak.

35 psi oil pressure at idle, hot on a manual gauge with 10w30. Runs and idles smooth. Present hot and cold. The harmonic dampener not hitting the timing cover. Sound does not emanate from inside the valve cover.

Hoping you all can shed some light on this issue -- I know this engine can be dependable and has a few noises that creep up over time, I'd just hate to miss an opportunity to service an overlooked part during a maintenance tear-down....or worse yet dive into a sand bowl with a real soft engine...

Thanks in advance,

Jon

Reply to
Jon

Couple of thoughts with pics from a ZJ..

How's the motor and transmission mounts doing?

Might want to put a stethescope to the distributor and listen there. I've had noise come from a sloppy bushing and wound up replacing the distributor. The giveaway was oil intrusion.
I've also had the center exhaust hanger's rubber bit fall out and that made a nice buzzing noise every now and then.

Reply to
DougW

You might want to feel engine if you can while it is making noisy. If it is lifter related or such you will not feel it but if it is bearing related, you will feel the vibrations in block even if it is not that loud

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

Doug + Sno, both solid ideas and direction, thank you.

All mounts are less than a year old, this is definitely something internal. Didn't think to listen to the distributor area, I'll post if I find the solution.

Jon

Reply to
Jon

I may have a similar issue. Does the rattle go away when you step on the clutch? I think there was a TSB out on this. There was a problem with some spring holding the clutch when the Jeep was idle.

I brought my Jeep to the dealership and asked they fix per the TSB. Either the fix didn't work or they just charged me for nothing.

Reply to
Nick Hughes

Hi Nick,

Sorry hear of your bad luck, at least that's one item "checked off". The noise I'm referring to is definitely engine internals, not related to clutch or transmission operation. Rapidly developing into a "run it 'til it breaks" issue -- but thanks for the tip.

Jon

Reply to
Jon