1998 S-10 Blazer fuel pump replacement

1998 S-10, 135k miles. 4.3 engine with LS package (consumer power neraly everything).

Runs about half a second on ether. Can't hear the fuel pump when key turned on. I did the fuel pump on my last Blazer, a 1989. That was about five hours work.

The parts house says about $275 for the new fuel pump, comes with the gas tank sending unit, and can't just order the fuel pump. That's the one year warranty one. The Bosch one is about $50 more, and lifetime warranty. Can have a Bosch for you in a couple days.

What's involved in replacing such a fuel pump? Pull the tank down, and lots of work?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Well if the pump is in the tank is there any other way? I had to pull the pump out of my former 88 Dodge Dakota because I was getting low fuel pressure at the throttle body inlet. Tank had to come down pulled the pump assembly out and here there was a neoprene hose coming from the pump to the hose manifold that had a small split in it allowing pumped gas right back into the tank. I replaced the pump none the less since I had that crap out. Not knowing your vehicle but assuming it's similar it's really not that much of a bitch to replace with the right tools and maybe a helper for the tank (hopefully there isn't much fuel in it)

Reply to
Meat Plow

Since it appears that replacing the fuel pump is a major job, you may want to make sure there is power to the pump by using a voltmeter. There is a inertial switch that operates when the vehicle experiences a sharp horizontal bump. This switch can be easily reset.

Good luck, Charlie

Reply to
Charles L Bachman

The tank is abouto 2/3 full. but, I do plan to drain off some of that fuel in the next few days. Put it in my van.

"is there another way". Yes, there is. My last Blazer was a 89 S-10, and I used a sawzall to cut a hole in the rear deck. I replaced the fuel pump (about $50) and put some sheet metal over the hole I just made.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

That's an interesting thought. Where is this switch? Top of the tank?

I lost the fuel pump after an oil change, so it should not have been enough motion to trip any safety switches.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Drop the tank, remove the line connections (3) and remove the retainer ring (after cleaning all the crud away) swap the pump module. Reinstall the ring and lines. Bolt the tank back in CAREFULLY, you need to tighten the retaining straps evenly to avoid pushing the tank bottom up into the pump. If you want a better price check RockAuto.com They also have a LOT more variety in pumps than most places.

Reply to
Steve W.

There is no inertia switch on a GM truck like yours, the previous poster is misinformed. Inertia switches are a "Ford" thing.

Also, you'd be better off using a large lamp such as a sealed beam headlamp if testing for power at the pump, a voltmeter will be misleading.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

My husband & son just replaced my fuel pump in my 1995 Chevy S-10 blazer, and it did not take more than about a hour to do it. After replacing it then had to replace the spider under the plenum. Unfortunately we were on our way to Ohio when ours went out,and had to be towed, and had to get son to come out and bring us a vehicle to tow it back. Now works great. Good luck with yours. Carol

Reply to
dnysis

Thanks, Steve. I'll probably print this out for the next time. I'm so busy with work, I finally called AAA and had it towed to a shop. Nice people, they'll have it back to me in a couple days, and I'll throw some money at it. Sounds a bit like the last fuel pump I did.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

You obviously have a fine mechanic. I'll admit to being a bit envious. My last vehicle (87 S-10 Blazer) had the tank in the back. I used a sawzall to get at the pump, and put some sheet metal over the hole when I was done.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

You are right, replacing the fuel pump on an 80s Blazer is horrible. It is a steel tank, covered by a plastic shield, but still usually rusted at the seams, and connections are almost impossible to reconnect. The late-model Blazer is a breeze though. Plastic tank along the driver's side, connections can be made with relative ease.

Reply to
John Manner

Sigh. NOW you tell me! I did the fuel pump on my 89 Blazer, which was miserable. The fuel pump on my 98 went to the shop, and I paid retail.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Well if it makes you feel any better, you will get covered in some gas with either model. If I had the cash, I would have paid someone to do it too!

Reply to
John Manner

You are a true friend.

Reply to