2000 Chevy Blazer - - SWAYING / WANDERING problem that we can't figure out

Hi, I have a 2000 Chevy Blazer LT, 4dr, automatic, 2 wheel drive. This is the 3rd GM vehicle that I have had this problem with. When I go to this tire place to get tires (sometimes new, sometimes used-pulloffs), they use one jack to jack up one side, right in the middle of the frame and change 2 tires at once. Then they go to the other side and do the same. When I leave the place and start down the road, it feels as if the vehicle is wobbling. I have been to 3 GM dealerships and had the front end aligned twice. The alignment cleared up some of it, but it still has some wander to it. The steering isn't as firm as it was when it came from the factory although it doesn't seem loose. Before this started, I could look down at the radio and then back up and I would still be driving straight down the road. Now if I look down and then back up I can be a little to the left or the right and sometimes over the line. I find myself consistently compensating back and forth for the wander. Sometimes I notice both sides don't seem to react equally to certain bumps or dips in the road where they meet both tires equally and you would think I would have an equal reaction. I notice this and that it reacts differently than it use to when I make turns and there is a dip in the road also. Once in a while I can hear a noise like something loose. I also get different bounce from both sides when it seems like it should be the same in certain turns and certain bumps.

(I'm sorry i'm not any better with the descriptions of the symptoms.)

I know it has to do with the way they jacked it up, because in-between the 2nd and 3rd vehicle I had a 2001 S-10 pickup and had the same place use their lift and I didn't have any problems. (This last time, they had gotten rid of their lift.)

All of the front end guys that I talked to at the dealerships couldn't really notice what I was talking about. They just thought that what they did feel was normal for the vehicle. They did admit that they didn't know how it drove before. They also got under the vehicle and looked at everything and said everything was in specs and that the shocks seemed normal to them. I did get one guy to recognize what I was talking about. One chevrolet mechanic rode with me and said to him it feels like the back end is trying to steer itself. But he had to send me to the front end man that put me back in square one.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Reply to
Scott

Robert

I don't think jacking your blazer in the middle is your problem. The frame is plenty stout enough to handle the stress of jacking in the middle. I don't recommend it, but I don't thing it will cause your truck to wander. I caught the part where you said that you buy tires that are "sometimes new, sometimes used pull offs." I'd be willing to bet if the tires are mismatched it would cause handling problems. Even the cheaper new tires have caused handling problems I've been involved with for customers. My own truck pulled hard to the right and I checked the alignment twice on it and it was arrow straight both times. I notced the tire on my left front looked like it was wearing funny. I always check the air pressure in my tires so I know that was within specs. I replaced the tire because I didn't trust it and the pull went away. My suggestion for you is to see if you can find someone with a similar blazer and with the same tire size and switch wheels and tires for a test drive, see if it makes a difference, that way you can rule out the tires causing the wander concern.

Reply to
Jay

It sounds like you are describing tire squirm. I had the same trouble years ago. The only remedy it to try a different brand of tire. You could also put in a little more air to see if it gets better. I won't go away with more air but it should improve. If you have a friend with the same tires , sway them around and give it a go. I think you'll find this will do the trick. Also check to make sure that the front and rear tires have the correct air pressure. Sometimes the rears require more pressure then the fronts to prevent this! Good Luck

Reply to
Randd01

No, I always get matching tires. And just last week, I replaced all 4 tires with brand new ones at a different establishment. I feel the frame is strong enough also to handle the pressure. My theory is that when one side goes up that way, that it is putting some kind of pressure on the opposite side somewhere or on something or it is causing something to pull out of place. When they jack it up, first the body comes up away from the suspension, then the suspension finally goes up, so maybe it is pulling something out of place when the body pulls up first.

Also, I did watch them put the lug nuts back on in the criss cross pattern so I don't feel it was that either. Remember, on the S-10 I had where they raised it on a lift, I had no problem at all. The only times I had problems was when they jacked the vehicles up that way (3 different vehicles).

Also, I forgot to mention, when I am in turns sometimes, I notice what feels like one front wheel trying to fight the other slightly. Not sure which.

Reply to
Scott

Maybe they were using the jack on the sway bar or drag link and bent the crap out of it. Mike

Reply to
Mike Copeland

IF it is because your going "off camber" then shame on GM with the design of the 2000 blazer. I've had my 1990 GMC Jimmy at about / that angle and it still tracks dead straight with 0 fingers on the wheel at 80mph. Couldn't tell you higher than that though :-) I can't help you, but my suggestion: Look elsewhere.

GMC Gremlin

Reply to
GMC Gremlin

JUST wanted to see if anyone had any New Ideas on my 3rd wandering GM vehicle. Thanks

Reply to
Scott

I've been jacking up my chevy trucks just like that for 30 years and never had any problems like you mention. I did have a Chevy Utility body truck once that did as you say and it ended up being what the dealer called tire squirm. We played around with the tire pressures and found that a 10 lb difference from front to back worked best. Of course this was a 2500 series and the tires were not radials. We ended up putting 50 in front and 60 lbs in the back tires and the problem all but disapearred. I realize if you have radials you won't be able to have such difference in pressure but you could put the fronts at 30 and the rears at 35 to see if it helps at all. On one of the other trucks we had with the same problem we went to a different brand of tire and it went away also. Good luck I know the feeling of playing catch up while going down the highway. It suks!

Reply to
Randd01

I had a 95 Jimmy that had similar problems, problem was especially bad when hitting bumps or dips and one side would react more than the other. If I remember right, one side was a little higher also. What I did was adjust the torsion bars until the front end was level and kept adjusting until the front end reacted the same on both sides to the bumps. I did change tires and shocks which helped but didn't make as big a difference as adjusting the bars. What I figured was happening was one torsion bar was getting weaker or one was changed before I bought it but this seemed to clear up most of the problem although it never really went away completely.

Reply to
Daryl

I am looking at a 2004 Blazer and I hope that it doesnt have that problem.

Reply to
<kielu84

Thanks Daryl, sounds like we had similar problems. I'll keep looking.

Reply to
Scott

replying to Scott, chuck wrote: I have 2000 blazer doing same thiñg hàve you found what it was yet I have replaçed ever thing from front to back and still sawaying only thing did not change is torsion bars any one know whàt it could be started doing this out of the blue have replaçed ever thing under this blazer

Reply to
chuck

Tires? Control arm bushings? Rear trailing arm bushings?

Reply to
clare

replying to Scott, WhiteCastle25 wrote: There's a reduced nut on the gear box, Allen key in center. Loosen 16mm bolt on top of gear box and tighten Allen key down then quarter turn backwards. Tighten down lock nut and that will take play from your steering

Reply to
WhiteCastle25