2000 Silverado Design Flaw

My daughter's truck started acting up yesterday. It wouldn't start without giving it alot of gas, then would cough and shake. We took it to the Chevy Service Dept. where they replaced the cap/rotor and fuel filter. I asked him why they would all need to be replaced on a fairly new truck with only 35,000 miles on it. The Manager told me there was a design flaw on the truck. He said there is an A/C duct that runs up and over the distributor cap. Condensation causes the duct to drip right into the cap/rotor. They put some insulation around the duct so it will not drip in that spot anymore. I had to pay $173.00 for a problem they already knew about. And they want us to buy American!!

Reply to
SkatingMom

George

And for future reference, the service interval for the fuel filter on my 94 S-15 is 12,000 miles or 12 months, so this should have been the

3rd fuel filter change. If the truck actually HAD a cap/rotor, it would have been about time to change those as well as the plugs, for the first time...

Reply to
Mike Levy

it was probably the fuel filter....they can go anytime....they "filter" the fuel and if you get water or debris in the gas tank, they stop working....they can cause some weird symptoms....

as far as the ac drip, look under the hood at the freon lines and see if they added any insulation...he is full of crap if he said cap/rotor, but maybe that is how he explains "coil pack" to most people.

The plugs/wires should be good for 100,000 miles. I would recommend chaning the fuel filter every 15000 miles.

Reply to
jason

I'll check these things this weekend when she's back. If they just changed out the fuel filter, do you think it should have cost $173.00? I know price varies, this was in central Texas.

Reply to
SkatingMom

Reply to
George