2001 Silverado Brake Warning Light Question

I have a 2001 Silverado and the Brake Warning Light is on steadily on the dash. I had all four rotors replaced along with new pads a few thousand miles before the light came on. If I disconnect the small 2 wire connector at the master cylinder, the light goes out, but still operates correctly for the parking brake. I am suspecting a faulty switch in the master cylinder. Any thoughts or any other tests I can do to determine the problem? Thanks

Reply to
Mark

Release the EMERGENCY BRAKE

Reply to
no one

Unless the Brake fluid in the master is low, the Float in the master could be stuck down! If you have really dirty brake fluid it can build up crud in there and cause the float to stick. Is the brake fluid dark black? It should be really light brown in color almost clear when new. There are ways to get the float unstuck. Then flush the system out if that's the problem.

Reply to
JBDragon

It's not the emergengy brake. The light flashes when the emergency brake pedal is depressed even slightly. Thanks. I'lll check the float in the master cylinder tomorrow. I appreciate the suggestion. Mark

Reply to
Mark

I am not sure of the design. but often there is a pressure switch between the two halves of the brake lines (each feeds two wheels) to detect loss of pressure in one side. Ususally this switch is internal to the master cylinder but may be external. Some of them, once upset will have to be reset. Sorry I am not more familiar with this particular one. I would look for any minor leaks near anything they worked on, like all four caliper connections, or take it back to them.

Reply to
Mike Powers