"Brakes" warning light.

1999 Taurus: The "Brakes" warning icon comes on when making any turns a bit faster than normal. I checked the brake fluid level and it's exactly where it should be. Could this be a master cylinder problem in the making?

Eric

Reply to
Eric Toline

Are your brakes the ones with warning light wires on when they get low?? It might just be your brake pads raching the end of their life.

Reply to
The Magnum
1999 Taurus: The "Brakes" warning icon comes on when making any turns a bit faster than normal. I checked the brake fluid level and it's exactly where it should be. Could this be a master cylinder problem in the making? Eric Are your brakes the ones with warning light wires on when they get low?? It might just be your brake pads raching the end of their life.
Reply to
Eric Toline

Reply to
BuckerooBanzai

Actually I was mistaken when I said the brake fluid level was right where it should be. It was a little low and adding about 2-3 ozs of brake fluid solved the problem. Eric

Okay, so now it's time to answer another question. Where did 2-3 oz. of fluid go? Normally as the lining wears on the pads and shoes (assuming rear drums) the level of fluid drops in the master cylinder as the backing plates move closer to the rotor/drums. Having the light go on for low fluid is a reminder that you should get the brakes inspected, if this is the only time you've added fluid since long ago brake service. If you're adding

2-3 oz. frequently (and that means that you remember the last time you added 2-3 oz) to turn the light off, chances are you have a leak.
Reply to
Eric Toline

Re: "Brakes" warning light. Group: alt.autos.ford Date: Tue, Nov 15, 2005, 12:05pm From: snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Eric=A0Toline) Re: "Brakes" warning light. Group: alt.autos.ford Date: Tue, Nov 15, 2005, 2:27pm (EST+5) From: snipped-for-privacy@hellsouth.org (BuckerooBanzai) On Mon, 14 Nov 2005 19:16:35