2002 Silverado 1500 won't start {sometimes}

My 2002 Chevy 1500 Silverado Xtended cab Pickup with 5.3 L engine and

59,000 miles cranks over but will not start {sometimes}. This happened 2 times this month. Both times the weather was cold,10 degrees overnight. It will crank for 2 minutes straight and not fire,then if I leave it for 20 minutes it will start and run like a "swiss watch". { with no indication that the engine was flooded from from all the "cranking" } Both times I have brought it to the Chevy dealer and left it for two days, but they can not "duplicate"the problem. They have checked the entire fuel system and found no problem. No trouble codes,fuel pump checks ok, etc, etc.They even called GM but no solution to the problem yet. Any others have this problem yet?
Reply to
snipe1972

"snipe1972" wrote in news:1171570327.844142.68070 @p10g2000cwp.googlegroups.com:

is the 'security' warning lit up in the DIC when you are having probs?.............kjun

Reply to
Kjun

No- the security light stays off, The dealer just changed fuel filter and did a "tuneup' of the fuel injection system but does not gauantee that will solve the problem.

Reply to
snipe1972

No- the security light stays off, The dealer just changed fuel filter and did a "tuneup' of the fuel injection system but does not gauantee that will solve the problem.

Reply to
snipe1972

It almost sounds like water in the fuel.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

Got the truck back ,$300.00 for towing and repair this time. I have to say that the dealer treated me ok. The first time there was no charge because they could not find anything wrong.This time ,after examing the fuel filter it appeared "dirty" so hopefully that was the problem. The only other issue I have had with this truck so far is I had to replace the Steering Box at 58000 miles.The truck has never been off road or plowed so I was surprised that a steering box would fail at such low mileage.

Reply to
snipe1972

"snipe1972" wrote in news:1171647991.571130.110710 @m58g2000cwm.googlegroups.com:

apparantly its a 4X4 since you mentioned steering box (2WD use steering rack).....yep, GM had some ugly noise issues with box on them. noise is the only issue i was subjected to but i didnt see any at your mileage that hadnt already been replaced. hope the dealer trip worked for you!...............kjun

ps..you mentioned fuel filter 'appeared' dirty. did they slice it open and examine the membrane?

Reply to
Kjun

The steering box was not covered by my warranty and cost for parts and labor was $1200.00 They did not slice the fuel filter open,but the gas in it appeared dirty {black color} It just seems odd that if the fuel filter was the problem,why would I have the same trouble two weeks apart? did it clear itself and then clog up again 2 weeks later? The truck was in use every day. So far the truck is running fine. if the problem returns I will post again--{before I trade in.}

Reply to
snipe1972

By the way I did ask if they had found water in the fuel ,and the answer was no, {at least not enough to notice} there was some talk about the trouble that ethanol can cause, I know that it has been a big problem with gas boats with inboard engines and large fuel tanks.

Reply to
snipe1972

I have a 2005 colorado, 2wd, same problem. started about 2 weeks ago, won't start sometimes. i'll crank it and won't start, leave it alone for about five minutes, try it again and again until it finally starts. when it does start, runs smoothly as if nothing happened. this happens 2-3 times a week. this tuesday, i was starting it up in the morning and same thing happened. when it finally started, the engine line was off and the whole truck was shaking. so i turned it off and turned it back on and it was ok again. so i dropped it off to the dealership, showed him the video (i used my treo phone) of it not starting. i was worried they won't be able to re-create the problem so i had it video taped. i got a call from him friday, saying they replaced the battery because it was drained (i don't believe how it could be the battery, but anyways) and they are still trying to find out why it won't start.

truck is used everyday going to work, 30 miles one way, and on long drives on some weekends. i change oil every 3,000 miles (usually comes every 2 months) using mobil1.

what should i do?? do i start asking about the fuel filter? all this is still covered by the warranty, right? it's only at 20,000 miles.

Reply to
kenzie1038

The black color may be from the charcoal in the canister. Others more experienced than me might comment on what causes this. I think there is a situation where it will appear or perhaps from overfilling the tank. I don't know but I've heard of charcoal in the tank before.

skimmer

Reply to
News Skimmer