Blower fan question

I've got a 2003 Silverado that the blower fan is acting up intermittently.

It will just stop turning occasionally, although I can still hear the relay between positions 4 and 5 click. It doesn't slow down gradually, it just stops. No excessive noise or anything. Then, at some later point, it's working fine again.

What should I check first?

Thanks.

Reply to
scrape

Next time it stops. Leave it on and bang the fan housing with your hand. If it starts you may have a sticking brush or loose connection.

Al

Reply to
Big Al

I called the local dealer today pricing a fan and he said that they've had a lot of problems with the fan resistor.

Checked

and it looks like the original p/n has been superceded by a new one.

Don't know if this is common knowledge or not, but gmpartsdirect is WAY, WAY cheaper than any of the dealers nearby.

$60 vs $150 on the fan and $20 vs. $50 on the resistor

including shipping.

I'll try what you said. Thanks.

A sticking brush is still going to mean replacing the fan though, isn't it?

Reply to
scrape

Yes, unless you can get it apart. About the resistor, if it's the problem, high speed will still work.

Al

Reply to
Big Al

High speed does not. Thanks.