2005 WT Drivetrain Noise During Initial Acceleration

2005 WT Drivetrain Noise During Initial Acceleration

Thinking about getting a 2005 WT; 4.3 w/auto. I have a 94 WT (purchased new in

94) equipped the same way and it's been pretty good over the years. I was disappointed about 10,000 miles after I got the 94 when I started getting the slip-yoke clunk. I just dealt with that for all these years and lubed it every once in a while myself after the warranty ran out. No biggy now, and it hasn't done it for about 30,000 miles, but it was damned annoying for about a year, before Chevy finally let on about what was going on with that.

In any case, I looked at a couple of 2005 WT's today and noticed that both of the ones that I test drove make this strange squawking or groaning noise for about a fraction of a second when accelerating from a stop. This is not the slip-yoke thing. That was a definite clunk that could actually be felt. And from what I understand, Chevy eventually redesigned those components and it shouldn't be a problem any longer. However, there is definitely something else going on with the drivetrains in these trucks. The same problem in two brand-spanking new trucks still on the dealer's lot is just too much of a coincidence.

Does anyone else out there have any experience with what I'm talking about? If so, what is making that horrible noise? And most importantly, is Chevy fixing it for you? Or, are they giving you the run-around?

Thanks much,

JRB

Reply to
jrb

Thinking about getting a 2005 WT; 4.3 w/auto. I have a 94 WT (purchased new in

94) equipped the same way and it's been pretty good over the years. I was disappointed about 10,000 miles after I got the 94 when I started getting the slip-yoke clunk. I just dealt with that for all these years and lubed it every once in a while myself after the warranty ran out. No biggy now, and it hasn't done it for about 50,000 miles, but it was damned annoying for about a year, before Chevy finally let on about what was going on with that.

In any case, I looked at a couple of 2005 WT's today and noticed that both of the ones that I test drove make this strange squawking or groaning noise for about a fraction of a second when accelerating from a stop. This is not the slip-yoke thing. That was a definite clunk that could actually be felt. And from what I understand, Chevy eventually redesigned those components and it shouldn't be a problem any longer. However, there is definitely something else going on with the drivetrains in these trucks. The same problem in two brand-spanking new trucks still sitting on the dealer's lot is just too much of a coincidence.