350 timing

Hi All, I recently purchase a chevy 350 crate engine. I used the accessories from a

1979 350 to finish off building the engine, including the harmonic balancer. When I attempted to time the new engine, the timing mark was not to be seen! I assume that the 1979 harmonic balancer is keyed differently than what is needed for the new crate engine. Does anyone know how many degrees different they are? I would like to shift the mark on the balancer by however many degrees I need to. Anyone know, anyone been through this before? Thanks, Rick
Reply to
Rhbuxton

where was 'degrees' mentioned ?

Reply to
Gary Glaenzer

In the original post...

quote:----------- "Does any>where was 'degrees' mentioned ?

Reply to
Somebody...

If the '79 balancer and timing tab were used, things should line up. Simply bring #1 to TDC and verify. If the mark isn't there, maybe balancer outer has slipped (replace). Or, if you wish, with #1 at TDC, mark 0 degrees on the balancer from tab with contrasting paint and time on painted mark.

Reply to
CER

Hi All, Thanks for the advice. I was hoping to find an easy way to mark the balancer and there doesn't seem to be one. I like the "dead stop", but it takes time to order it and get it here, in addition, I am not sure it would fit inbetween the headers and the block, there is just enough room to get the plug in. I think what has happened is that the outer ring of the balancer has slipped on the hub, as was suggested. I will look at a friends balancer and see where the mark is on his in relation to the keyway slot, if mine isn't the same, I will buy a new balancer. Thanks for the suggestions and ideas everyone! Not a single BS answer or suggestion was given, thanks for the help, if I could give yoiu a beer, I would! Rick

Reply to
Rhbuxton

what years were the parts? engine, timing gears & chain, balancer, timing cover etc? there are several different parts depending on year/application. here's just a list of harmonic balancers.

a list of timing covers

Rondo

You don't need to order a stop, Just remove the plug and use a hunk of wood dowel just slightly smaller than the plug threads and about 4-5 inches long. Put it in the hole and SLOWLY rotate the engine till it hits the rod. Now reverse the rotation to the stop. Now measure between the marks and 1/2 that is TDC.

Reply to
Steve W.

Try 14 degrees (the precise figure isn't in my notes for some reason, so this is from memory - - so I could be off some). I've had this problem with Target engines ever since I installed the first of two engines some

18 years ago. Somewhere along the line, GM changed the mark on the vibration dampener to a different position, or changed how the pointers are attached to the timing cover (forget which at the moment), so the pointers included with the new engine won't show the correct number if you use the original dampener. Being a little lazy, I just time it to 14 degrees rather than remove the dampener and try to figure out where the new mark should be.

What I do is find #1 TDC, attach the distributor and sparkplug wires (these engines are usually in this position when you take them out of the crate), and start the engine. Then I use a vaccuum gauage and rotate the distributor (or equivalent) to find max vacuum and retard until vacuum decreases about 2-3 inches.

Pete

Reply to
Pete