Timing Troubles with Chev 350

Some assistance with timing on a chev 350. My son has installed a pre-84 chev 350 into his newly acquired 94? GMC pickup. Removing the 6 and installing the 8 was a challenge, but it's mostly done.

I don't have any history on the motor except it came from a camaro and was fuel injected; stock? I don't know; kinda doubt it. He decided to change the fuel injection out for a carb, so he bought an edelbrock carb 650cfm? and intake manifold as well as a new distributor assembly.

We had the engine running, sounded good, however when it was put in gear, no power stalled every time. Most likely a timing issue. Checked the timing and yup it was off the scale so far I could hardly see it. Re-setup the timing; #1 TDC, align rotor with #1 lead on distributor try again. Won't start at all. Re-setup a couple more times, runs very rough, but the timing is again way off the marker.....better than

12deg. BTDC. Actually never did get the engine to run with the timing being any where near 8deg BTDC.

As I said, no history on this motor so perhaps it has a cam, but I can't see that causing the timing mark to be so far off...I'm down to thinking I may need to check the timing chain.

Any suggestions before the front of the motor is taken off?

Reply to
donj

on my bbc the harmonic balancer was going bad and the outside ring slipped and when setting the timing it was way off I set it by ear and ordered and new timing llight and the new one did the same, found tdc with a fitting in the number on plug and it was not near the timing mark and restarted and saw the harmonic balancer was wobleing and replaced all good.

Reply to
Ed ke6bnl

I agree with the comment above, but it sounds like you were timing it based on TDC and the rotor position, so you should be pretty close.

It does sound a bit like you have the timing chain a tooth off. I'd play with the timing a bit more using a vacuum gauge. Time it for something close to max vacuum and it should run well. If it kicks back against the starter, just back off the timing a little until it stops and you're good.

Reply to
Stanley Spadowski

Reply to
Mathew Borges