4.3 tweets like a bird

1996 GMC C1500 4.3

OK.....I suspect my AC compressor bearings have bit it. I have developed a high pitched tweet. It has had the noise for a few months, only because I have not had time to fix it...unless it got me stranded.. I replaced...in order,

1.) Belt 2.) Tensioner 3.) Idler 4.) Alternator (only because it died) 5.) Water pump..(only because it decided to spring a leak) After the pump was changed...the noise quieted down and changed pitch, and only happens above 1500 RPM

So now with all that changed, the AC compressor was the only thing not replaced. It still blows ice cold, but it is a very annoying sound...the kind like you see the guy in the car next to you going "man buddy...get your shit fixed"

I have found I can buy the bearings fo rthe pump, but cannot find tech data on how to rebuild it. I hate buying used AC or electrical parts and a $200 is out of the budget at this moment.

Can anyone give me a site to check out on how to rebuild one of these, or pointers if they have done one. I can rebuild starters and alternators all day long, but never got to rebuild one of these bad boys....any help???

BTW...just hit 90K on the truck and it is starting to nickle and dime me....also has a cold start problem that I might be asking for guidance on....I am pretty sure I know what that is though...

Eightupman

Reply to
Eightupman

the actual compressor bearings, or the bearing that supports the drive pulley ?

two different animals entirely:

changing bearings in the actual compressor is a major pain in the ass

the drive pulley bearing is easy: remove belt, use a puller to take off drive plate, then the pulley/bearing is held on by a big snap ring, take it off, pull the pulley/bearing off the support, change bearing, re-assemble

Reply to
Gary Glaenzer

Hard to tell with the truck running. I used a long screwdriver as a makeshift stethescope to try to pinpoint the noise with no luck. The drive pully seems easy and it is cheap enough...I may just shotgun it to try to get rid of the damn noise

Thanks for the info.

Eightupman

replaced...in

sound...the

Reply to
Eightupman

Maybe your scope didn't work because thats not where the noise is? That trick works quite well... I'd have no idea where else to look.

re-assemble

buddy...get

alternators

Reply to
KJ

Noise can't be anywhere else....unless something in the motor is making that noise.....ugh..will try bearing replacement...

Reply to
Eightupman

compressor. If the bearing is bad you will know for sure by the sound. If it isnt obvious look for the noise elswhere. If it is the bearing INSIDE the compressor it will make noise ONLY with the air ON. The pulley bearing will make noise all the time. It is very common for the pulley/clutch bearing to go out. It's about $25 at the parts store. You need the right tools to remove/install the clutch and pulley. If fact one of mine just broke so I ordered the kit from Harbor Freight today. ($25) It is a cheap one but good enough for home use. If you decide to do it yourself post back for detailed instructions.....Its not THAT hard to do.

Reply to
Scott M

Remove the belt. Start it up. If the noise goes away, it's A/C bearings or another belt driven component. Typically shot bearing noise changes pitch with engine RPM. Does your noise change w/ engine speed?

Also, does it make noise only with A/C on or with A/C off as well? With A/C off the compressor clutch isn't engaged hence the compressor isn't spinning, hence it wouldn't be the internal bearing set but rather the pulley bearing which is easier'n shit to change out with the proper tools.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

yep did that...no noise. Turned AC on, same noise...slight change in pitch. Higher pitch with increased RPM......about right for a bad bearing I would think... OK...pully bearing it is. Exactly what type of puller do I need as all I own is the harmonic balancer puller and the one that works for taking off standard "v" belt pullies. Plan on fixing it tomorrow afternoon (I hope)

TIA

8upman
Reply to
Eightupman

You have an Autozone near you? They'll have the puller you'll need..........

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

Sure do...thanks for the info.....keep ya'll posted about the noise.

8
Reply to
Eightupman

In all seriousness I don't use my "ear" I touch my teeth to the screw driver. They seem to transfer the sound better, especially the upper teeth.

Reply to
KJ

----Cool, Ill try that. It does seem it is just the vibration that you "hear". That teeth trick should work well. Do you have to wash your mouth out with hand cleaner when your done? :)

Scott M

be sure to have a dentist stand by in case you f*ck up with the nearby rotating parts.

Reply to
Baboo

My thoughts exactly.............

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

~~WARNING~~WARNING children.....do not try this at home!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ We open the new season of alt.trucks.chevy finding the Bunkle brothers rigging togeather a home-made stethescope.....

-------------------------------------

snipped-for-privacy@no.hope.com (Scott=A0M) studders......

----Cool, Ill try that. It does seem it is just the vibration that you "hear". That teeth trick should work well. Do you have to wash your mouth out with hand cleaner when your done? :)

-----------------------

yuh gotta luv this room..........

scrib abell ~~takes a swig of shroom juice and shakes his head in disbelief........"I gotta have a long talk with those boys one day".~~

Reply to
Scribb Abell

. Re: 4.3 tweets like a bird ~~WARNING~~WARNING children.....do not try this at home!! ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ We open the new season of alt.trucks.chevy finding the Bunkle brothers rigging togeather a home-made stethescope..... here, let listen in....... =A0=A0-----------------------

------------------------------------- =A0= snipped-for-privacy@no.hope.com (Scott=A0M) studders......

----------------------- From: snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Scribb=A0Abell)

yuh gotta luv this room..........

scrib abell ~~takes a swig of shroom juice and shakes his head in disbelief........"I gotta have a long talk with those boys one day".~~

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

HEY.........HOW MANY TIMES HAVE I GOT TO TELL YOU TWO...????????

put my damn tools up and quit play'n with the truck......it's not a damn toy.

I thought you two learned your lesson with that bungee jumping episode.....you won't ever learn!

RUBBER BANDS, what a freek'n couple of bat-brains.

I'm tell'n you.....your mommas side of the tree really has some dead branches in it.

D O N " T ......you give me that look!!!!

crazy......... down-right gord fer brains.....you two have.

NOW PUT MY TOOLS AWAY ....... and leave the damn truck alone.

what's that?

a computer?

what are you two doing out here with the computer?

your getting help?

on what?

fix'n the truck?

let me see that damn computer!

what"s this you two have on this thing.

an NG.......?

what's an NG?

oh.

who you two talking to on that thing?

mechanics?

they're all mechanics?

oh....most of em.

yeah.....well.........put my screwdriver up before you two kill yerselves.......and get that mess in the barn cleaned up. AND FEED THEM COWS!!!

. ..

0 0 l O hey....any you mechanics in there?

hello? hey? anyone in there? can ya'll here me?

well here's the deal........

QUIT TELL'N MY BOYS HOW TO FIX SHIT.... i'm going broke paying the doctor bills!!!!!!

Pop Bunkle ~~pulls the Prince Albert out.......gets the papers.....puts the can down on the hood of the truck.......and ambles on over to Scribs house.... ...Pop needs a drink~~

Reply to
Pop Bunkle

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

snipped-for-privacy@no.hope.com (Scott M) studders......

----Cool, Ill try that. It does seem it is just the vibration that you "hear". That teeth trick should work well. Do you have to wash your mouth out with hand cleaner when your done? :)

-----------------------

yuh gotta luv this room..........

scrib abell ~~takes a swig of shroom juice and shakes his head in disbelief........"I gotta have a long talk with those boys one day".~~

---------------- ROFL....................................ha

Reply to
Scott M

this is turning out to be a huge PITA....Been to Autozone TWICE...and neither puller they gave me works. I had them take an AC unit off the shelf to show me how it bolted up and neither tool cooperated. The counter person was actually quite helpful and did not understand how this particular AC unit is different from ones that he has worked in the past. On my way to Pep Boys to see if I can get the low down there. If anyone is got tool part numbers or pics of the dang thing, please post them. From what you all are describing, ,this cannot be this hard to do. Now after all this, ,I hope I have the right bearing...

8up with the noise...and the trouble

Reply to
Eightupman

Does the AC comp have a BOLT in the center of the clutch???? If it is a bolt(not a NUT) then just pull the bolt out and the outer clutch plate will practically fall off. (if it is this style, you dont need a puller) The rest is the same(large snap ring holding it on) .If it has a nut or just a stud looking thing you have to use the puller/installer. Remove the nut if it has one. There are many sizes of threads on there so the puller/installer has to match. You have to match the female/larger thread to pull it. And match the smaller male thread(the compressor shaft) to install it. Ill look for a link for you with pictures.

Reply to
Scott M

is an older compressor but the clutch is the same on most chevys. Thebearing you are after is in the pulley.(unless it has a BOLT in the middle,read below)

Reply to
Scott M