502 cam in a 454! Will it work?

Well I finally got a cam and lifters ordered for my truck. Cam #

12366543 from a crate 502. My question is will this work with the stock 454 in my truck? Truck spec.'s are as follows

1996 GMC 2500HD with a Gen VI Vortec 7.4L (454), Automatic, 2wd. Mostly a daily driver. Hauling 2400lb loads about 3 times a month.

The cam spec.'s are as follows. 224/234 dur. @.050, Lift 0.527/0.544 with a 110=BA LCA.

Any Thoughts?! The questions going through my head are.

1=2E) Will I need to change anything other than the timing chain set and distributor gear? (211,105 miles on the motor now!) 2=2E) Will this cam idle OK or is the computor on the SFI going to give me grief? 3=2E) Is there any other things I should look out for? (Valve spring issues, Etc.)

As of yet the motor is still being used. It's not slated to go to the shop till next month. But in an effor to keep the cost down I've been getting the parts online instead of dealer prices! And the wife is starting to question if I can just live with the noise it's making instead of putting more dollars into a truck I JUST paid off! (A bad oil pump chewed up the distributor gear. Replaced but the noise only went away temporarily so the idea came in the cam gear was chewed up to! So I'm replacing both this time!)

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated since the dealers don't even want to speculate! Thanks Dave

Reply to
Daveman

In case anyone else is curious. Got a reply from GM Performance plus today.

12366543 camshaft on the 7.4L Gen VI engine in your 1996 GMC C2500. It will work as long as you have the holes in the front of the block for the camshaft retainer plate. If not,you will need to use a cam button.
Reply to
Daveman

Why do people always ask "will this work in my truck" AFTER they already bought it???LOL

12366543 from a crate 502. My question is will this work with the stock 454 in my truck? Truck spec.'s are as follows

1996 GMC 2500HD with a Gen VI Vortec 7.4L (454), Automatic, 2wd. Mostly a daily driver. Hauling 2400lb loads about 3 times a month.

The cam spec.'s are as follows. 224/234 dur. @.050, Lift 0.527/0.544 with a 110º LCA.

Any Thoughts?! The questions going through my head are.

1.) Will I need to change anything other than the timing chain set and distributor gear? (211,105 miles on the motor now!) 2.) Will this cam idle OK or is the computor on the SFI going to give me grief? 3.) Is there any other things I should look out for? (Valve spring issues, Etc.)

As of yet the motor is still being used. It's not slated to go to the shop till next month. But in an effor to keep the cost down I've been getting the parts online instead of dealer prices! And the wife is starting to question if I can just live with the noise it's making instead of putting more dollars into a truck I JUST paid off! (A bad oil pump chewed up the distributor gear. Replaced but the noise only went away temporarily so the idea came in the cam gear was chewed up to! So I'm replacing both this time!)

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated since the dealers don't even want to speculate! Thanks Dave

Reply to
D-farr

It's the, "I wonder if I just screwed up" inquiry. There is nothing wrong with that, if it doesn't fit, seems like a good reason to build a 502 for your truck. The oil companies will love you for it... :)

mark

Reply to
r_d