Is a TB from a 454 worth it on a 4.3L?

I'm getting ready to stick my Edelbrock TBI intake manifold on my 4.3L TBI ('91 issue) over the next month or so. Hopefully I'll get rid of a few of the "might as well"s while I'm at it, like replacing the old lifters. Would it be worth it to bore out the intake to fit a 454 throttle body before I bolt 'er in? I don't have any head work planned but I do have a set of headers installed so he's not choked too much (Jimmy is definitely a "he"). A cam isn't totally out of the question, nor are 1.6 rockers (I'd hate to have to replace my valve springs though). Any opinions?

Reply to
SBlackfoot

Nope, not worth the effort for many reasons....................too lazy right now to type them all out!

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

if you are going to use a 454 tbi, you could have stolen the adapter plate too and used it on a spreadbore 4.3 intake. early 454's had q-jet intakes w/a adapter plate to accept tbi units. -pete

Is a TB from a 454 worth it on a 4.3L? Group: alt.autos.4x4.chevy-trucks Date: Sat, Apr 17, 2004, 5:37pm From: snipped-for-privacy@sympatico.remove.ca (SBlackfoot) I'm getting ready to stick my Edelbrock TBI intake manifold on my 4.3L TBI ('91 issue) over the next month or so. Hopefully I'll get rid of a few of the "might as well"s while I'm at it, like replacing the old lifters. Would it be worth it to bore out the intake to fit a 454 throttle body before I bolt 'er in? I don't have any head work planned but I do have a set of headers installed so he's not choked too much (Jimmy is definitely a "he"). A cam isn't totally out of the question, nor are 1.6 rockers (I'd hate to have to replace my valve springs though). Any opinions?

Reply to
pete carb

Actually this is part of the homework I've been doing for months...

I meant a cam or the 1.6 rockers, definitely not both. The rockers would just be an easy way out of a cam swap. I'd hate to have to tear it down that far. Ideally I want the Edelbrock bolt-on setup (intake, cam, headers) but the 1.6 rockers should be enough with the factory cam to keep me happy.

Reply to
SBlackfoot

IMHO.....you should do your homework friend. chances are that 1.6:1 rockers and a hi-lift cam will cause coil bind with stock heads, so maybe head-work should be on your list. Don't do anything that will slow down the airflow thru the motor such as installing a 7.4 litre throttle body on a 4.3 litre engine. Shoot for .480" lift on the intake/exhaust with the 1.6:1 rockers installed. you may have to machine the pushrod guide slots in the heads because the 1.6:1 rockers are longer than 1.5:1 rockers and may cause the pushrods to hit during max lift. Years ago i built a torqy little 229 cid motor using a off-road cam, small-tube hedders, 390cfm carb and single-plane intake.....sleeper.

Reply to
Mad Dog