short and long?

i have seen in a few lr mags and seen people talking about them on this ng but i have no idea what it is. what is the difference between a short and long engine? they sell 2.25l engines in both short and long form. what is it?

thanks.

Reply to
samuel mcgregor

I think different vendors have slightly different ideas of the definitions, but approximately

a short engine is just a block and not much else (possibly includes the crank?) a long engine would have most of the required bits with it (including crank, pistons, heads etc) a full engine would have everything including ancillaries (oil pump, water pump etc etc)

I think the RPI website is a bit more detailed

Tim Hobbs

Tim Hobbs

allrighty. they must be british terms or something because i have never heard engines described in that way in australia.

Reply to
samuel mcgregor

On or around Sun, 17 Aug 2003 10:55:01 +0100, Tim Hobbs enlightened us thusly:

I think short engines are block, crank and pistons. Long ones should be complete bar some of the ancilliaries, I don't think many people include starters and alternators etc.

if contemplating buying, then ask the prospective seller to detail exactly what's supplied.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

I have, although not recently - but then I haven't been looking at replacement engines lately. In my experience, a short engine is block, crank, pistons, camshaft, timing gears. Long engine is a complete engine, less ancilliaries (alternator, starter, a/c compressor, vacuum pump, ECU, and often less injection pump/carburetter, manifolds) If contemplating buying an engine, make sure you find out exactly what you are getting, as details will differ according to the supplier. JD

Reply to
JD

In article , Austin Shackles writes

Where does the cylinder head come into things with the long engine?

Reply to
John Halliwell